3d blu ray sbs ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rmhartman

3d blu ray sbs ?

Post by rmhartman »

Apparently "sbs" and "sbs 3d" are too common for search to find, so I am just asking this now.

I have an Android Evo 3d -- which will play 3d video in the SBS (side-by-side) format.

I have used MakeMKV to decode my 3d blu ray program, but the android video player does not understand MKV files.
I would like to reencode the MKV file to an MP4 with SBS 3d encoding.

So far from what I have found on the MakeMKV forum, and VideoHelp, when people ask about SBS the response seems to be "you lose resolution that way, don't do that". Well, I am not playing on a big-screen tv, and I don't want to buy and use "Stereoscopic" (the 3d player for windows). I want to encode into the format my device already understands: side-by-side 3d.

From what I understand, MakeMKV _does_ keep the 3d info in the MKV file, so it should now just be a matter of reencoding.

Is this possible using Handbrake, and if so -- how?
JackNF
Enlightened

Re: 3d blu ray sbs ?

Post by JackNF »

Handbrake can't convert 3D blu-rays to SBS. It doesn't have the code necessary to interpret the 3D extension to the BD spec, ie HB would only be able to see one of the two sides when loading up a 3D blu-ray title because there's no way for it to know about the other.

The only software I know of off hand that can convert blu-ray 3D to SBS is BDtoAVCHD. I haven't used it in a while but it's free and can convert to either a simple AVCHD image for burning to disc OR an MKV file (which you could then remux to MP4 without further re-encoding) and it uses x264 as its encoding engine the same as Handbrake.
rmhartman

Post by rmhartman »

Thank you. I will check that out.
rmhartman

Post by rmhartman »

How do you tell it to do SBS? Is that in the Target Media option, and if so which should I choose? Or is it in a hidden option somewhere? There is nothing I can find that comes out and says "convert to SBS" ...
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

There's a button with a stylized '3D' label on it between and just to the left of the 'Open BD Folder' button and the chapters list, at least there is on the screenshot on the webpage there. If I remember correctly that'll open up a dialog box with the 3D options you're looking for. It's been a while since I used it so I'm hazy on specifics, I just vaguely remember successfully using it to convert a couple of titles to SBS a couple of years ago.
rmhartman

Post by rmhartman »

Will check that out. Thanks again.
rmhartman

Post by rmhartman »

Hmm. The 3d button is on the screenshot there ... but not on my GUI. I've got the latest version .... perhaps they removed it? I'll try an earlier version ...