Action! videos and Handbrake?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Nepho

Action! videos and Handbrake?

Post by Nepho »

Hi.

I used handbrake several times when I was still using Fraps, and it worked perfectly.
Now I switched to Mirillis Action!, and when I scan a source (Source > Open file), it scans to 100%, but then nothing happens.
There is no error or anything, and it's just like I did nothing. I'm loading a 3.7Go .avi video.

Is this a known issue? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: Action! videos and Handbrake?

Post by Woodstock »

The AVI decoder in Handbrake is limited to 2GB. You will need to convert the file to a different format, such as MKV.
Nepho

Post by Nepho »

Mmh. Thanks for the answer. Do you know what I could use to convert the AVI to MKV without losing much quality?
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

There are a number of programs out there that simply move the elements from the AVI package into an MKV package, with no change to the data. I found several for different operating systems by simply searching for "convert avi to mkv" on Google.

I have not tested any of them, because the only AVIs I have here are under a gigabyte in size, so there was no problem with them.

The limitation on the size of the AVI is because anything larger than 2GB is not adhering to the AVI standard.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

mkvtoolnix will do the job with zero loss of quality: it simply remuxes the audio and video into another container.

https://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/