Handbrake + libdvdcss-2.dll

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gren99

Handbrake + libdvdcss-2.dll

Post by gren99 »

i'm not so much looking for support but am posting my own personal resolution of a problem i encountered in the hopes that if someone else runs into this problem, they might find their way here and be able to resolve it as well.

i recently installed the release version of handbrake 0.10 (this applies strictly to windows; i'm pretty certain it's different for OSX and *nix installs -- oh, and i'm using win7 64 bit, btw) and decided to decrypt/encode one of my DVDs today. i usually have handbrake handle all of this, having downloaded the libdvdcss.dll file (64bit version; from here), renamed it from 'libdvdcss-2.dll' to 'libdvdcss.dll' (because pretty much every site that had instructions on the matter said to do this and i can confirm that it worked like a charm in the versions up to 0.9.9) and pasted into the root of my handbrake install folder (usually "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\".)

what followed was about 2 hours of frustration due to the decrypting just plain not working. the activity log straight up stated that no decryption was possible and thus i spent a lot of time googling, experimenting and just generally not getting anywhere. i was on the verge of rolling back to 0.9.9, when on a whim i decided to paste the non-renamed libdvdcss-2.dll into my handbrake install folder and wouldn't you know it -- that fixed the problem!

perhaps i missed this change in a changelog somewhere - and if i did, feel free to delete this post as the admins see fit, but i figured it's worth documenting in case someone else runs into this.

TL;DR version:

if you use libdvdcss.dll to decrypt DVDs with handbrake in Windows and the decryption part isn't working after installing handbrake 0.10, re-download libdvdcss-2.dll (64bit version linked) and DO NOT RENAME THE FILE, no matter what the guides you googled say. Do, however, drop it into the handbrake install directory, same as always.
lilnatemc

Re: Handbrake + libdvdcss-2.dll

Post by lilnatemc »

:shock: :shock: :shock: dude, holy [Censored]....I just did that, while also just leaving my old version in my directory and it worked. You sir are a genius. Seriously ive been looking up ways to describe what was wrong with my output videos for a couple hours. Thanks for droppping by and solving all my issues so quickly. :shock:
brika42

Post by brika42 »

THANK YOU! I've spent the last hour trying to figure this out as well after updating Handbrake, you just unblocked my problem.
Handbrake_JW

Post by Handbrake_JW »

Thank you for posting that. You have saved me from certain madness. I also installed the latest update and was no longer able to scan the discs. This is a great product and really nice to use. I thought that I had lost its functionality...
:D :D :D
kfanderson99

Post by kfanderson99 »

I did rolled back and registered just to post that 0.10 doesn't seem to work. Thanks for finding the solution!

VERY HAPPY!

:D :D :D
musicvid
Veteran User

Post by musicvid »

This thread is for future spambot use.