Detelecine 18fps Super 8 video?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Old Dog

Detelecine 18fps Super 8 video?

Post by Old Dog »

Greetings,

I have some DVDs that were converted from old super 8 home movies. It appears they did a 3:3:4 pulldown to convert it to 29.97 fps. I know Handbrake does detelecine on 3:2 pulldown of 24fps theatrical movies, but is there a way to do detelecine on other pulldowns? I'm hoping there are some magical custom parameters I can enter.

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Re: Detelecine 18fps Super 8 video?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

If there are, I don't know of them, sorry.
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

I'd suggest making sure output is set to variable framerate then play around a bit with filter combinations on a short segment (eg 'detelecine on, decomb off' or 'detelecine off, decomb on' and etc.), see what you get.

If someone who knows better then I sees something wrong in what I'm about to say then please correct me, *deleting assumptions that my testing below shows was clearly wrong, see 2nd edit below, wishing there was a strikethrough text option in the forum editor*

I've got an old silent film from the '20s on blu-ray that I know has a similarly odd field pulldown from ~18fps to 25 that I've been meaning to rip (and on older DVD version of the same film that had a pulldown from ~18fps to 29.97), I'll do a little testing of my own later this afternoon and chime back in with what I get.

*edit* Just check the blu-ray and I was mistaken. They actually padded out the framerate by just duplicating one frame every few frames, bumping it up from 18 to 24fps in a way that kept everything progressive. I'll digg out my old DVD, I know for certain that one has the weird pulldown pattern.

*2nd edit* I haven't had much luck with my DVD copy, it's only dropping down to around 25fps with the detelecine filter, and decomb just leaves it at 29.97. I know the detelecine function in the original avisynth version of decomb had a custom setting to change how often it would try to identify duplicate frames to drop (1 in every 5 frames, 1 in every 6 frames, etc), but AFAIK Handbrake doesn't have any such custom setting to adjust because Handbrake's decomb doesn't drop dup frames at all and what little documentation I've found on the standalone detelecine filter doesn't mention any custom settings to adjust framerate decimation.

At this point I think if you absolutely need it brought back down to the original 18fps you'll need more then just Handbrake to do it. You might be able to pull it off with an avisynth script and a few other pieces of software, but that can take quite a bit of time to learn what to do and how to write the script if you've never worked with it before. I know I'd need a refresher, I used to use it quite regularly but that was years ago. If you can live with a few duplicate frames here and there then Handbrake is simple and just works well enough.

I would suggest that if these are your own home movies or a friend's or a relative's then you presumably have access to the original film. If that's the case then spending a lot of time figuring out how to detelecine this old DVD transfer down to 18fps would probably not be the best use of your time and effort IMHO.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Ask at Doom9. Somebody may have written a script to do this in Avisynth.