Help for Newbie??

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
RealGomer

Help for Newbie??

Post by RealGomer »

I just started using Handbrake 0.9.9.5530. I've a couple questions. I prefer to output all files as MKV.

1) Is it normal for the MKV file to be upwards of 1/10 the size of the ISO file?
2) Is it normal for Handbrake to just stop working in the middle of an operation? No, the PC isn't going asleep. I made sure that option is selected.
3) Is it normal to need to hit / select the source file multiple times before Handbrake begins to scan it?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Help for Newbie??

Post by TedJ »

RealGomer wrote:I just started using Handbrake 0.9.9.5530. I've a couple questions. I prefer to output all files as MKV.

1) Is it normal for the MKV file to be upwards of 1/10 the size of the ISO file?
Not unusual at all, H.264 is a far more efficient codec than MPEG-2 as used on DVD.
2) Is it normal for Handbrake to just stop working in the middle of an operation? No, the PC isn't going asleep. I made sure that option is selected.
No. Please post an activity log for one of the encodes where HandBrake stops working. See the red box at the top of the page for details.
3) Is it normal to need to hit / select the source file multiple times before Handbrake begins to scan it?
This is a known issue with the "open disc" option under 0.9.9 and has been fixed in the beta/nightly builds.