mvk to m4v

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ckasprzak

mvk to m4v

Post by ckasprzak » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:06 pm

Is there an easy way to take Handbrake created mkv files and just change the container to an m4v? I don't want it to touch the video or audio, just remux the streams into an m4v container.

Thanks!

Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: mvk to m4v

Post by Smithcraft » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:54 am

With a remuxer. You could look at VideoHelp.com for remuxing tools. Or if you have access to a computer running OS X, then Subler is a great way to go.

SC

ckasprzak

Post by ckasprzak » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:08 am

Thanks, I'll give that a try on my MacBook! Looks pretty decent from the site.

On a side, might be nice to have something like this included in HandBrake!

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:17 pm

ckasprzak wrote:On a side, might be nice to have something like this included in HandBrake!
Fundamentally incompatible with the way HB is architected. It's like wanting your pickup truck to include a sports car, or vice-versa.

But that won't stop the idiots from repeatedly posting this question/request instead of searching the forum before posting like the rules require.

maurelioc

Post by maurelioc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:35 am

Hi folks , I have one doubt about this subject: what happens if we use HB to convert a MKV container do MP4 instead of using a remix like Subler? Will it lower audio or video quality? Will it expand or compact the original video?
What HB do in this case: uncompress video to a raw format and apply the codec again or convert from a compacted format to another one (maybe with some parameters different) directly.
As an example converting from MP3 to AAC is a lossy conversion, since it , as far as I know, recovers to raw data and apply the other codec again.

musicvid
Veteran User

Post by musicvid » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:35 am

Handbrake uses lossy video encoding.
Some audio streams can be passed through, others use lossy encoding.
It's all in the docs.