Unable to copy large MP4 files - CRC errors

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ratnorb

Unable to copy large MP4 files - CRC errors

Post by ratnorb »

I'm a fairly recent arrival to Handbrake, but not a computer newb at all, nor am I new at this process... just the tools, since most of my previous conversions have been DVD, not Blu-Ray.

I'm converting Blu-Ray discs to MP4 files for playback in a hard drive based Media Player. First ripped with MakeMKV, then converted with Handbrake (0.0.0.5530) using these settings: MP4 wrapper, Large file size, H.264, various RF from 20-15, Audio mixdown Dolby ProLogic II, etc.

The files play with VLC just fine, no problems. File sizes range from 5-10GB.

However.... if I try to copy the encoded video file to another drive ... ANY drive, it fails at the end of the copy "Can't read from the source file or disc". Using XCOPY from a command line gives same problems, nails it down to a bad CRC (cyclic redundancy check).

Any clues why?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Unable to copy large MP4 files - CRC errors

Post by TedJ »

Are we talking about copying to an external drive? If so, what format is it?
ratnorb

Post by ratnorb »

Any hard drive, internal or external, all NTFS
No problems with other >4GB video files, just these
ratnorb

Post by ratnorb »

my bad on the Handbrake version used - it's 0.9.9.5530

:-/
ratnorb

Post by ratnorb »

Ran a short 3 chapter conversion (same Blu-Ray rip file as before), mkv output container, 1.4GB file, and it copies OK - no errors.
Going to run a same (3 chapter) MP4 container version now...
ratnorb

Post by ratnorb »

Same size as above but MKV wrapper, works fine.

Nobody else seen this??
ratnorb

Post by ratnorb »

hopefully this 'bump' isn't too pushy, it's been over a week since my last check-in here...
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

This is quite a weird issue, so the probable answer is "not a clue" as to what's happening… :-(
IBrokeIt

Post by IBrokeIt »

ratnorb wrote: However.... if I try to copy the encoded video file to another drive ... ANY drive, it fails at the end of the copy "Can't read from the source file or disc". Using XCOPY from a command line gives same problems, nails it down to a bad CRC (cyclic redundancy check).
ratnorb wrote:Any hard drive, internal or external, all NTFS
No problems with other >4GB video files, just these
ratnorb wrote:Same size as above but MKV wrapper, works fine.

Nobody else seen this??
ratnorb wrote:hopefully this 'bump' isn't too pushy, it's been over a week since my last check-in here...
This is a good news and bad news situation.

The good news - it's not a HandBrake issue.

The bad news - this is a hardware error (possibly a weak hard disk sector).

Here's more information about what you're experiencing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk ... d_handling

The S.M.A.R.T. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.) failure flag has not been tripped, but this is a potential indicator of imminent electromechanical failure (as are the other pink colored rows in the table).

If this were my system, my first step would be backing up the (potentially failing) hard disk drive.

My second step would be to use a S.M.A.R.T. attribute reporting program to view the current values.

My third step would be powering off the system and checking for loose cables and contact oxidation, replacing/repairing as necessary.

My fourth step would be a non-destructive hard drive surface test, then checking the S.M.A.R.T. attributes again.

If necessary, my final step would be a destructive test, and perhaps hard disk drive replacement.