Questions about aspect ratio

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phototaker
Experienced

Questions about aspect ratio

Post by Phototaker »

I know that its generally not the done thing but I have been asked to create an MKV file from a PAL file that was 4x3 but is required to be in 16x9. I pointed out that most players can stretch the video at time of playback.

I wondered if anyone has created a chart which suggests just what settings one should use for re framing various from sizes?

One thing about file in question is that Handbrake says the file is 720x544 with pixel aspect ratio of 1.33. For Pal I had expected 720 x576 with pixels set with aspect ratios of 1.1. Is this an misunderstanding on my part?

Thanks in advance
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Questions about aspect ratio

Post by mduell »

If the playback device supports anamorphic, custom anamorphic (without preserve AR) would be the best way. That allows the storage resolution to stay the same (no bloat) while the display aspect ratio changes without mucking with the payback device settings.

Post the scan log for answers to your other questions.
pereelmagne

Post by pereelmagne »

I have the same problem and I'm unable to get the aspect ratio right.

Source: 720 x 576.
Anamorphic: custom
Keep aspect ratio: no

I get output 700 x 404 and anamorphic 746 x 404 and there's no way to change it.

Kind regards.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Activity log, please. We know nothing about your source.