Drawback in using "Web Optimized" or "iPod 5G Support" ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Drawback in using "Web Optimized" or "iPod 5G Support" ?

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Hello,

I've noticed that "Web Optimized" and "iPod 5G Support" are unchecked by default. Does it mean that these options have drawbacks (compatibility, image quaity, etc.) ?

I've read the HandBrake wiki and it only says that these options do but it doesn't say a word about the disadvantages of enabling them (if there's any).

Thanks for your help !

Cedric.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Drawback in using "Web Optimized" or "iPod 5G Support" ?

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Web optimized requires a complete remux of the file at the end of encoding: take up to a few minutes and requires as much free space as the encoded file is large.

iPod 5G support enabled if the other settings aren't iPod 5G compatible signals some incorrect information to the player - not a problem in practice but… pointless.
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Thanks a lot Rodeo ! Now I will always enable these 2 options. I think that the HandBrake wiki should be updated with this piece of information.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Why? Doing so gains you nothing unless you need that functionality and in the case of the iPod 5G flag may actually cause compatibility issues.
Hanbrakeur
Experienced

Post by Hanbrakeur »

Hanbrakeur wrote:Thanks a lot Rodeo ! Now I will always enable these 2 options.
TedJ wrote:Why?
Because people who download my videos may want to stream it or read it on iPod 5G.
TedJ wrote:Doing so gains you nothing unless you need that functionality and in the case of the iPod 5G flag may actually cause compatibility issues.
OK, if you say that the iPod 5G flag may cause compatibility issues, then I won't use it any more. That's all I wanted to know.
If it didn't have any drawbacks, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to activate it even if he doesn't need it personally (when you release a video you try to make it as compatible as possible).