Keep Getting Error When Starting

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
popeye13

Keep Getting Error When Starting

Post by popeye13 »

I cannot open handbrake at all, i get an error message with the following log.

HandBrake has detected corruption in the presets file and has attempted to rebuild this file.
Please restart HandBrake before continuing.
HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Exceptions.GeneralApplicationException: Exception of type 'HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Exceptions.GeneralApplicationException' was thrown.
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.PresetService.LoadPresets()
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.PresetService..ctor()
at Handbrake.frmMain..ctor(String[] args)
at Handbrake.Program.Main(String[] args)

----

System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (60, 12). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Instance validation error: 'FivePoint1Channels' is not a valid value for Mixdown.
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderList1.Read17_Mixdown(String s)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderList1.Read19_AudioTrack(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderList1.Read28_EncodeTask(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderList1.Read29_Preset(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderList1.Read30_ArrayOfPreset()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader textReader)
at HandBrake.ApplicationServices.Services.PresetService.LoadPresets()

Help??

Many thanks
popeye13

Re: Keep Getting Error When Starting

Post by popeye13 »

Anyone??
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Looks like an issue with your presets file. Try deleting it and let HandBrake rebuild it on launch.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Presets
popeye13

Post by popeye13 »

TedJ wrote:Looks like an issue with your presets file. Try deleting it and let HandBrake rebuild it on launch.

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/Presets
Hi, thanks for the tip.
Only issue is, i did that and it started, but now, the UI looks like something from the early releases and i have to delete the preset file everytime to get it to start.
Ive wiped everything off the system, even had a look in the registry for anything hanging around, then reinstalled it but im still getting this error.
So there must be some hidden settings file somewhere....?