Some options not saved as default

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phototaker
Experienced

Some options not saved as default

Post by Phototaker »

I don't know if I missed something or not but not all options appear to be saved as my default. I wish to save to MKV. I open a MPEG2 video file & I see that MKV appears to be selected as the type of container. But when I click on destination for output files & see that MKV isn't automatically selected for output file. I press the down arrow next to MP4 & have to select MKV.

I also want the English subtitles to be stored in the same container so I have English selected under options, but when I select the subtitles tab I still have to tick the box for default subtitles if I want them to appear in final file otherwise their missing. Can all items that I have selected to be my default be ticked stored some way so that I don't have to reenter preferences?

Thanks in advance
karry299

Re: Some options not saved as default

Post by karry299 »

Same deal. I'd like to be able to tick "default" box for subtitles, and then "add all" and to have all files have their subtitle tracks set as default. Saving it in a preset does not work.

I've seen some people say that 0.9.9 for some incomprehensible reason is unable to do that, but earlier versions could. Can someone point me to an earlier Handbrake version that is better than the current one, or to name a software that is up to the task ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. Older versions do not save subtitles as it's a very complex thing to do. It involves a assumptions about each different source and you know what they say about assumptions.

The nightly builds are going about it in a different way. Offering a set of behaviours to try and select tracks. It's not perfect but it fits a few more common scenarios. Unfortunately, for things like default, the only practical option would be to have an option to make the first track default. Even then, it doesn't always work depending on the source.
karry299

Post by karry299 »

How is it any different from saving settings of audio codecs ? If i set to passthru or encode - it is saved. I dont understand. All the files are the same specs, all the sub tracks are tagged, the Handbrake sets the required sub track on it's own. The only thing i need is to have every file have a sub track set as default.

I could encode in mp4, but doing that in Handbrake means i lose all the font and formatting setting, which is not exactly acceptable to me.