Automatic File Naming confusion

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
paleolith

Automatic File Naming confusion

Post by paleolith »

I'm confused by the results of Automatic File Naming. I'm converting from folders ripped from DVDs and I'm usually having to fix the name for every track, or else let the files go to undesired locations and move them later. My prefs are set to

Automatic File Naming: on
Default Path: C:\allvideo\movies-extras\{source_folder_name}
Format: {source}-{title}

As an example, I do Open Folder and select folder C:\allvideo\movies-dvd\Scoop (2006). This folder contains 26 files -- mixed BUP, IFO, and VOB.

The file names filled automatically are

C:\allvideo\movies-extras\movies-dvd\Scoop (2006)-1.m4v
C:\allvideo\movies-extras\movies-dvd\Scoop (2006)-2.m4v
etc.

I was expecting
C:\allvideo\movies-extras\Scoop (2006)\Scoop (2006)-1.m4v
etc.

In other words, I was expecting {source_folder_name] to be replaced by the name of the folder I selected, but apparently it's being replaced by the name of the folder containing the folder I selected.

Am I misunderstanding how this is supposed to work?

If I then select a Title and click Browse, I can select a new location. But this only changes the location for the one Title, and if I change titles and come back to the first, the changed location is lost. The result has been that I either let all the Titles go to a default folder and sort them out later, or add them to the queue one by one.

(I'm open to other conversion plans, but what I've been trying to do is this: if I'm sure there's only one Title on the DVD that I care about, I alter the destination to put it in C:\allvideo\movies-mp4, deleting the sequence number. If there are several Titles and I might want to keep some of the others, then I'll put them into a folder within movies-extras and later adjust names and locations. Most of the other Titles that get converted are junk, but the ones I want to keep can get renamed in place, and it's usually easier to convert them all and sort them out later.)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Edward
HandBrake

Re: Automatic File Naming confusion

Post by HandBrake »

The typical usage scenario for {source_folder_name} is for DVD based sources. I.e SomeName\VIDEO_TS User selects VIDEO_TS and it uses the parent folder.
I see no reason not to extend it to support child or parent level folder. Will add to my todo list
paleolith

Re: Automatic File Naming confusion

Post by paleolith »

I see, thanks. For whatever reason, DVD Decrypter usually does not create a VIDEO_TS folder. I'll try adding that level. But thanks for adding that to the list.