HB and Vista=Oil and Water?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Piselidolci

HB and Vista=Oil and Water?

Post by Piselidolci »

Hey there, please go easy on me as I am not a complete dunce, but nowhere near the brilliance of you guys!

My issue: My previous computer I had DVD43 and HB. Worked great. Then I installed Vista Business and continued to work fine. Then I got a new computer last week, Compaq, Celeron D, w/ Windows Vista Home. Now HB is all screwy. I have South Park DVDs and previous to this computer have been able to put the episodes into my iPod with no trouble. Now, for some reason the estimated time for a 23 minute episode can vary between 45 minutes to 16 hours, when before it would usually take approx. 25-ish minutes. I have gone into Properties to have HB run with admin priviledges, have uninstalled and re-installed HB a few times, and again, it seems to want to take many moons to encode an episode. I have also tried other DVD ripping programs but keep coming back to my first love, HB, in the hops that maybe it will work again.

Can anyone please shed some light here? Or is this going to be something possibly addressed in the next version of HB?
Many, many, many thanks for any help!!
Lant
Novice

Post by Lant »

If the same version of handbrake is installed on both pc's its probably the new computers hardware. A celeron D isn't exactly hi-tech.
Piselidolci

Post by Piselidolci »

The thing is, I had goteen my older computer just about 4 years ago, so common sense would call it an antique. :wink:
iggy23

Post by iggy23 »

I'm using a Pentium IV (2001 PC) and handbrake is sloooow. Not a criticism of the software, more of my crappy hardware. I'm running on Vista Ultimate, and Handbrake runs fine.

Lots of things could be contributing to the slowness: your processor, your memory, the cache etc (all tech stuff I don't understand). If your old computer under Vista worked fine, and your new one under Vista doesn't, the only thing that has changed (really) is your machine. Your old machine was faster.