Trouble converting WTV file

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
NapMan

Trouble converting WTV file

Post by NapMan »

I recorded the 3.5 hour Grammy broadcast on my Windows 8.1 computer using Windows Media Center. It's a WTV file.
I am trying to convert it to MP4 so I can cut out some of the performances so I can keep them. I chose the "Universal" preset and started the conversion last night but it only got to 14.26% and stalled out. I tried it again and it stopped at the same point.

So I copied the 20GB file to Mac to try it there only to have it stall out at the exact same point.

I'm looking for any assistance on what the problem may be and/or what I can do to get this file converted to a format that will allow me to do some editing.

I have iMovie on my Mac and Premier Elements on my PC.

Thanks for the help.
Deleted User 13735

Re: Trouble converting WTV file

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

VideoRedo TVSuite will fix errors and re-index your recorded file to aid in encoding by oyher applications.
There is a free trial.

If you need additional help, post the encode log.
ckronengold
Novice

Post by ckronengold »

I suspect there's a broader issue with WTV support and only a few of us even testing it.

Most of the problems I've had lately (see my Hanging at 99% or 100%) post below yours. All of my problem files are WTVs or started as WTVs.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Yes, the source is full of errors that need another application to fix.

SC
NapMan

Post by NapMan »

musicvid wrote:VideoRedo TVSuite will fix errors and re-index your recorded file to aid in encoding by oyher applications.
There is a free trial.

If you need additional help, post the encode log.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't sure which version to download so I went with TV Suite H.264.
I got the trial key and I chose "Quickstream Fix" from the menu. I told it to save as a H.264 MP4 file and it's currently running with about 10.5 hours left.