Is HB capable of creating interlaced content output files?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
wgf_bean

Is HB capable of creating interlaced content output files?

Post by wgf_bean »

Is it possible to configure Handbrake to leave an interlaced source as interlaced. Every setting I try causes the output file to be progressive. Even if I shut off all the filters, particularly Decomb and Deinterlace, then it still generates a progressive file.

Why would I want to do this? The original interlaced content plays back perfectly in MPC-HC or VLC. There are no artifacts, i.e. no tearing, no blurring, etc. If I encode with HB no settings are acceptable. The best seems to be Decomb: Default, and Deinterlace:Off, but even that isn't as perfect as the original content.

Is HB capable of creating interlaced content output files? Clearly H.264 supports it.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Is HB capable of creating interlaced content output file

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Set anamorphic to Strict in picture settings, and add tff=1 to advanced encoding options.
wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean »

That works and my playback is now perfect. I can now compress my interlaced content and not suffer with any artifacts. Thank you very much!
wgf_bean

Post by wgf_bean »

I've run into a slight problem...

I have some 1920x1080 interlaced content. It's some old NASA recording from the 60's on the Blu-ray. So I want to crop first removing 240 from left and right to get to the original 4:3. It's black bars left and right so it makes sense to toss this. This results in 1440 x 1080, which I want to further reduce to 720 x 540 since the original source was low resolution anyway. To do this I can't use "Strict" because it won't let me change the resolution.

So how do I crop a 1920x1080 (16x9 aspect) to 720x540 (4x3 aspect) AND maintain the video as interlaced? What are the correct settings?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake doesn't really support interlaced encoding. It works with Strict because it doesn't scale, but it's more of a "we found out that it should work, even though we never planned for it".

The problem is that our scaling code doesn't do interlaced scaling. It's not on my (or anyone's, AFAIK) TO-DO list(s).