How to get Quicksync to work / Where to find svn5671?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
twirt

How to get Quicksync to work / Where to find svn5671?

Post by twirt »

Hi everyone,

I have no clue how I can get handbrake to use quicksync. It seem like svn5671 works for most people. Where can I get this version from?
All I found is svn5779 and 0.9.9. But I was not able to get either one working.

Besides, MediaEspresso is woking great with quicksync on my system. I do have a second graphic card NVIDIA GTX460 build in.

Hope some can help me.
Thanks in advance,
Twirt
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: How to get Quicksync to work / Where to find svn5671?

Post by s55 »

If it's not a option in the Video Encoder dropdown, then it's not available for use in HandBrake.

Make sure your running the latest drivers and the HD Graphics is active (If your using lucid logix, then HandBrakeCLI must be set to integrated mode) (If your not, then either connect a monitor to the HD graphics or find the Nvidia tool that allows you to set the QuikcSync option - I don't know what it's called unfortunately)
twirt

Post by twirt »

But is QuickSync support integrated in the last stable 0.9.9 version?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope
twirt

Post by twirt »

So could any one please give me a link to download a version of handbrake that includes QuickSync support. Thanks!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Um, it's in the nightly builds available from the download page.
twirt

Post by twirt »

Can you confirm that it is in the latest nightly? Are you using it sucessfully yourself?
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

confirmed about nightly
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

I'm fairly certain the developers know what's in their software.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

For the most part, that's true.
Dalsvzla

Post by Dalsvzla »

s55 wrote:(If your not, then either connect a monitor to the HD graphics or find the Nvidia tool that allows you to set the QuikcSync option - I don't know what it's called unfortunately)

Hi... is this tool called inspector? If so... What are the option that i have to set?. Also Need to ask if with this tool i dont need lucid and conect a second monitor to HD graphics neither?

Thanks
twirt

Post by twirt »

I have the two monitors connected to the NVIDIA graphics adapter, none to the Intel. I would like to keept it that way. If this is the root cause which can be fixed by NVIDIA inspector, great.
Can anyone let us know which options need to be set in the inspector? Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@Dalsvzla - I believe so but I don't know the key you need to change for it though. gmb was reporting that decoding VC1 and lookahead isn't working properly when using it though. We don't have the hardware to test this so it's unlikely to ever get fixed (assuming it's even a bug on our side)
Dalsvzla

Post by Dalsvzla »

s55 wrote:@Dalsvzla - I believe so but I don't know the key you need to change for it though. gmb was reporting that decoding VC1 and lookahead isn't working properly when using it though. We don't have the hardware to test this so it's unlikely to ever get fixed (assuming it's even a bug on our side)
Hi s55..

Uhgg thats something very sad.. I almos only work with BD .... vc1 its a bd standar right? (As i know) otherwise i dont know what is lookahead please let me know about it if you can. I just have a little adknoledge about this themes and im only a simple user ofthis fenomenal handbrake app
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

VC1 is indeed used on *some* blurays. Lookahead is an algorithm that can improve quality and filesizes.

Either way, it's not an issue when you just connect a monitor, so It sounds like it's something to do with the way this Nvidia setting is interacting with the Intel Hardware but we simply don't know.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

VC1 is a Handbrake bug in newer versions, it worked in svn5671 and also works with other Quicksync apps. Lookahead is something Intel/Nvidia related. As for Inspector, either set iGPU transcoding to enable or set Shim Rendering to iGPU_transcoding. Here a screenshot: http://s7.directupload.net/images/130923/b9yeo75g.png

Because I have no clue what system you have it might work or not.

There are also app based profiles for MediaEspresso or MediaConverter. Looks like this:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130923/kdump6di.png

That brings me to an idea. Maybe renaming Handbrake.exe to MediaEspresso.exe works with the app based profile.
Dalsvzla

Post by Dalsvzla »

I really apreciate your help both of you s55 and gmb

Ill give it a shoot to try.

Also... How can i know if a BD its is a BD VC1 ?
maxim_d33
Bright Spark User

Post by maxim_d33 »

gmb wrote:VC1 is a Handbrake bug in newer versions, it worked in svn5671 and also works with other Quicksync apps
according to the
viewtopic.php?p=130475#p130475

there are no yet logs provided to investigate the issue
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

To determine the codec you can either:

A - Check a Bluray reference site like bluray.com to see what the codec is, or a review site might include that information in their reviews.

B - Pre-rip with MakeMKV and use MediaInfo to see what the codec is.

C - Us BDInfo to scan the disc and see what it says the codec is. This might require something like AnyDVD HD to remove the DRM on the fly.

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

gmb wrote:VC1 is a Handbrake bug in newer versions, it worked in svn5671 and also works with other Quicksync apps.
Juts for the record, it's the encode-only path that's not working for you, not VC-1 in particular. It just happens for VC-1 because, since we haven't implemented VC-1 decoding via QSV yet, the encode-only path is the only one that can be used.
gmb
Bright Spark User

Post by gmb »

gmb wrote: There are also app based profiles for MediaEspresso or MediaConverter. Looks like this:

http://s14.directupload.net/images/130923/kdump6di.png

That brings me to an idea. Maybe renaming Handbrake.exe to MediaEspresso.exe works with the app based profile.

Just tried it, good news. Renaming not required, MediaEspresso profile works. Means this setting is recommended:

I guess it works for all Quicksync apps. Not sure if you need a specific Nvidia driver, I have 326.80 installed.