Handbrake starting with a blank screen?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
raphytaffy

Handbrake starting with a blank screen?

Post by raphytaffy »

I'm running Handbrake 0.9.9 (latest version as of this post) on Windows 7 64-bit and all I'm presented with when I run the program is this blank screen: Image

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with a reboot in between, but it results in the same blank screen when the program starts. Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake starting with a blank screen?

Post by s55 »

Try a nightly build. It's corrupted settings files that causes it.
raphytaffy

Post by raphytaffy »

I've tried installing the nightly build with the same results. How can I completely delete Handbrake from my system after uninstalling it so that no settings file persists?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

hmm, that I wasn't expecting. Settings paths see: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/FileLocations
raphytaffy

Post by raphytaffy »

Very weird... I've uninstalled it and deleted the associated Handbrake files located in AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local. Still seeing the blank screen for some reason.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

hmm that doesn't make a lot of sense. My guess is something isn't getting loaded correctly. Worth a shot, but try re-installing .NET 4 incase it's a problem with one of those dlls
raphytaffy

Post by raphytaffy »

I don't have .NET 4 installed at all, just .NET 4.5. Could this be why it's not loading properly?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

4.5 is an extension of 4, so you have 4 already. A reinstall won't hurt.
raphytaffy

Post by raphytaffy »

Uninstalled .NET 4.5 and Handbrake, rebooted, then reinstalled them both (.NET 4.5 first). Still a no go. This is really weird. Has no one else encountered this issue? I wonder what the problem with is my setup.
david3

Post by david3 »

I'm also having this problem on one of my systems. On my main system, it's fine, but on my laptop I get a blank screen. Both are Windows 7 64 bit, with the latest nightly.

HandBrake-svn5823_i686-Win_GUI.exe

I deleted the preferences as outlined here:

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/FileLocations

But it didn't help.
raphytaffy

Post by raphytaffy »

Oddly enough, I have the same setup issue. Works fine on my desktop, but I get a blank screen on my laptop. Very weird bug as both are running Windows 7 64-bit and have nearly identical specs and setup.
david3

Post by david3 »

One thing that is different between my two systems, is that on my main system (where it works) I've got both Client & Full versions of .NET 4.0, and on the laptop (where it doesn't work) it just has the Client version of .NET 4.0. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Another thing -- this other thread mentions it might be an OpenCL issue:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=28485

My main system has an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card and my laptop has an Nvidia GeForce 7150M graphics interface (don't think it supports OpenCL).