AppleTV3 Preset 30fps & Bob Decomb/Deinterlacing

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Katzenfan

AppleTV3 Preset 30fps & Bob Decomb/Deinterlacing

Post by Katzenfan »

I am using the handbrake encoded movies only on my iPad3, iPhone4S and ATV3. I have two questions:

1. The "Apple TV 3 Preset" suggests always 30fps, even if the source is a 24fps (exactly: 23,9xx fps) Blu-Ray Movie. I guess this is because the ATV3 at the moment do not support 24fps output but only 50/60 fps. But would it not better to use "same as source" fps in this case, because maybe the next ATV will support 24fps output?

2. I have several PAL TV-Shows (DVD 576i/50 or Blu-Ray 1080i/50). I have always used "decomb custom: 9:-1". What ist the difference to the new "Bob" Option and if you would recommend "Bob" in this case, would it be "Decomb Bob 25fps" or "Deinterlace Bob 25fps"?

Thank you very much.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV3 Preset 30fps & Bob Decomb/Deinterlacing

Post by Smithcraft »

I believe it suggests a peak frame rate of 30 fps.

SC
mduell
Veteran User

Re: AppleTV3 Preset 30fps & Bob Decomb/Deinterlacing

Post by mduell »

Katzenfan wrote:I am using the handbrake encoded movies only on my iPad3, iPhone4S and ATV3. I have two questions:

1. The "Apple TV 3 Preset" suggests always 30fps, even if the source is a 24fps (exactly: 23,9xx fps) Blu-Ray Movie. I guess this is because the ATV3 at the moment do not support 24fps output but only 50/60 fps. But would it not better to use "same as source" fps in this case, because maybe the next ATV will support 24fps output?
ATV3 does not support 50/60fps. ATV3 only supports content at or under 30fps. The ATV3 preset includes the "peak framerate" box checked, which means the framerate can never exceed that number. The ATV3 preset does not force a particular framerate.
Katzenfan wrote:2. I have several PAL TV-Shows (DVD 576i/50 or Blu-Ray 1080i/50). I have always used "decomb custom: 9:-1". What ist the difference to the new "Bob" Option and if you would recommend "Bob" in this case, would it be "Decomb Bob 25fps" or "Deinterlace Bob 25fps"?
Bob produces one frame per field, so you'd end up with 50fps progressive content. The ATV3 preset would decimate that to 30fps, which would look awful.