User presets not saving settings.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ckronengold
Novice

User presets not saving settings.

Post by ckronengold »

Found some similar posts griping about user preset behavior, but couldn't seem to find the definitive "yes" or "no" answer to if it was working right.

I "thought" I had my presets in .98 working well. Had 4 presets: Home BluRay (RF22, DTS passthru), Home DVD (RF20, AC3 passthru), Streaming BluRay (picture width 720, keep aspect ratio, RF22, 192kbps stereo), Streaming DVD (picture width 720, keep aspect ratio, RF20, 192kbps stereo.

In .99, when I set them up, the picture size doesn't maintain when I go back and forth between my user presets. When I change to a 720 wide, it changes the width in all of my presets. When I click on "High Profile" it goes back to 1920 for a bluray, and then stays at 1920 for all of my user presets. (yes, I tested the "update presets" to make sure I'd saved them).

Is this a bug or am I not understanding how the user presets are meant to be used?

Thanks!
ckronengold
Novice

Re: User presets not saving settings.

Post by ckronengold »

am I just asking a dumb question?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

It might be an issue with 0.9.9.

SC
ckronengold
Novice

Post by ckronengold »

Thanks, Smithcraft.

I'm currently using the svn5639 nightly (64-bit), and had hoped the issue had been addressed there.

may have to go back to .98 for a while, since I'm encoding my entire dvd and bluray library and not having the presets to click makes it a bit more of a pain that I'm in the mood to mess with right now.

Thanks for the reply. Thought might have only been me.
Roo5676

Post by Roo5676 »

I'm having this issue, too. I created different user presets, but settings in the Picture tab (Width and Anamorphic, at least) always get reset when re-opening Handbrake or switching presets. I have definitely saved the changes on each preset while creating them and the Audio tab works fine (the others are the same across my presets so it's hard to tell).

I looked in the user_presets.xml file while changing these, and sometimes it was editing the file and putting in my settings. So I don't know if it's just a UI problem representing the saved settings, or if it's actually overwriting the saved settings. But it's hard to trust it to use the right settings right now. Very frustrating - defeats the entire purpose of custom presets if you have to recreate them every time.

This is with the latest version (0.9.9.5530 - 64 bit). I only upgraded to get support for burned in blu ray subtitles, but this is enough to make me go back to an old version. I should also mention that these are with presets that were newly created in this version. I had to do that, since the new version just launched to a blank window when my old presets were still on my machine after upgrading (see here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27818).
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Grab tomorrows nightly. Fixed an issue with anamorphic not setting.

Width isn't stored unless you turn on the picture sizes mode. It allows you to define a Maximum size of the output file. So if you set Loose anamorphic, then tell the preset that the Max is 720. All files will be up to 720xYYY loose anamorphic.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

s55 wrote:Width isn't stored unless you turn on the picture sizes mode. It allows you to define a Maximum size of the output file. So if you set Loose anamorphic, then tell the preset that the Max is 720. All files will be up to 720xYYY loose anamorphic.
FWIW, the MacGUI defaults to picture size "source maximum" for anamorphic strict, and "custom" for all other anamorphic modes. Basically, it assumes the user wants the preset to set the picture size by default.

Not sure what the LinGUI does.
Roo5676

Post by Roo5676 »

Sorry for the delay. It's working well now, thank you!

It's a little weird how you have to pick the size settings when creating the user preset rather than being able to modify it at any point like the other settings, but it's working for my purposes of having a 720p preset for Blu Rays. Thanks again.