No sound!

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Decorator75

No sound!

Post by Decorator75 »

Hi

I wanted to rip some stuff to mp4 format and encoding was ok and the quality superb. The problem is I don't get the sound. When I play the movie I get the error that I am missing some codec. I set up in the settings the mp3 192 Kbps format. I don't know what could be the problem. If anyone knows please post.

Thanks.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Welcome to the forum.

Which codec and container are you using? What "Audio Track" did you encode and what "Audio MixDown" option did you enable (IF you enabled it)?

Just by reading your post, I can see that maybe you used H.264 with audio MP3 in .mp4. May not be a good idea if that was the case. Use AAC instead of MP3. In fact, you should only need 160kbps or even 128kbps with the more efficient AAC to get what you get at 192kbps with MP3.

Although I personally haven't dwelled deep into it, I personally will not mess with these combinations:

Codec: H.264, Container: .mp4, Audio: AAC
Codec: Xvid, Container: .avi, Audio: MP3
Codec: MPEG-4, Container: .mp4, Audio: AAC

I know there's also the .ogm container, Vorbis audio, and we now have .mkv as a container, which is more flexible, but there are still combinations where some video works best with certain audio interleaved properly and optimally within a certain container, and shouldn't be mixed or you may not get good results. I know I've accidentally done such in the past.
Decorator75

Post by Decorator75 »

Yeah thanks bro. It seems that my problem was the incorrect combinations. I was trying mp4 files with mp3 audio. Now I ripped with AAC, downloaded correct codec and it works. Cheers.
Decorator75

Post by Decorator75 »

Well I have another question. I also tried ripping with AC3 audio and that din't work either. It seems that only AAc is working at the moment. I saw that a lot of guys is doing x264 rips with AC3 audio. Am I still missing some codec? I also would like to know how do you guys know if video file is interlaced or not? It seems like a problem because Windows version doesn't have preview window like the Mac version.

Thanks for the answers.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Hi again,

The MP4 container does not support AC3. If you want x264 encodes (or any H.264 video) with the source AC3 audio, use MKV instead of MP4.

Keep in mind:
MKV supports more codecs than MP4.
but,
MP4 is more supported with decoders, playback apps and devices.

Take your pick. :D

It depends what you want as well. For example, I encode a ton of music videos ripped from my DvR, so H.264 with AAC/MP4 suits me just fine. 8)

Another option is AVI, which also supports AC3, if you’re willing to use Xvid video. But don’t put H.264 video into AVI. The older AVI, by its nature, wasn’t built to handle modern codecs with stuff like 16 multiple reference frames allowable by the H.264 standard, etc. Also, its 4GB max will limit HD encoding.

Other options are enhancements/hacks (ODML AVI and Haali splitter for MP4). I personally never bothered…

There is, as I can see, a recent thread stating that the new release of HandBrake is buggy with its recent support of MKV. Not sure though, haven’t tried yet.

However, if you're serious about x264/AC3/MKV, and HandBrake doesn't handle it well (yet), here’s what you can do:

-Use an app like VirtualDubMod (free) to demux (separate) the AC3 audio separately first from the source.
-Encode the source with HandBrake using H.264/MP4/AAC.
-Demux the H.264 video stream and audio stream of the final MP4
-Using MKVToolnix (free), mux (join) the H.264 video and your original source AC3 audio into an MKV container.
-The AAC audio file? Delete it, or use it as a second track within the MKV…

Most experienced encoders usually do their audio and video separately anyway.

As for interlacing, the best thing is to use an app like DGIndex (free), load a VOB MPEG-2 file into it, (ignore any GOP warning), and press F5 to Preview the video. After a few seconds, in the Information box that pops up, see "Frame Rate" and "Frame Type". It should give you the info you need.
Last edited by PuzZLeR on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Decorator75

Post by Decorator75 »

Thanks Puzzler. You really helped a lot and things are much clearer now. The last thing I would like to know is how do you guys go about cropping. I set mine to auto but I still get black edges left and right. How to set it to cover the whole screen. How do you guys set it right?

Thanks.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

To crop or not to crop? This is basically taste and opinion.

I personally don't crop so I can't help you in this. I consider the black borders as part of the whole production... :P

I know lots has to do with the aspect ratio of the source and HandBrake is supposed to adjust. There are threads on it, but I have heard that HandBrake may not be the best "auto-cropper" though...

There's reasons why I don't auto crop, but, like I said, it's a matter of taste:

1) I don't want to risk error and mess with the aspect ratio.
2) I prefer the original resolution of the source as closely as possible for a more natural feel. I use 640x480 for music videos, but use anamorphic for other content.
3) I stick with one "standard" or format. In fact, the closer to the source, the more "standard". I have a nagging suspicion that it may affect its long-term wide-compatibility if you change the rez/size. But maybe I'm being neurotic on this one.
4) Alot of the reason for cropping is to save bitrate. However, since I use CRF alot, the encoding doesn't add much, if any, bitrate to those black areas.
5) Playback apps like VLC automatically adjust to the screen and remove the black borders for you in decoding/playback if done right anyway.

But like I said, that's me, and my tastes. :D