Custom preset not saving target size

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
AeitZean

Custom preset not saving target size

Post by AeitZean »

I've created a pre-set that creates video's for my phone, anamorphic is set to None, "Keep aspect ratio" is off and size is set to 800x480. Every time I load or use the preset "keep aspect ratio" gets ticked again, so the size changes to 800x448. This is driving me mental, I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I cant for the life of me figure out what.

I hope you can help, and I hope I've put this in the right forum.

thanks
AeitZean

Re: Custom preset not saving target size

Post by AeitZean »

Upon further investigation, I think I've found the problem. If you have the custom preset selected BEFORE you load the video file, for example you've made it the default, then the custom setting of keep-aspect-ration = false is ignored. You have to select another preset, and then return to your custom one to get it to work properly.

this does make the add all function useless, as it seems to reload the current preset for each video (or maybe the default, not sure). unfortunately, this means that it is again ignoring the keep-aspect-ratio=false flag, and the output video sizes will be wrong. oh well, I guess I'll just have to manually add all the video's to the queue for now, de-selecting the box for each and every one.

should I report this as a bug anywhere, or is it already a 'known issue' etc?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

You want distorted video?
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Hi, I have this problem too. Unfortunatly the workaround posted by AeitZean doesn't work for me either.

I want 720x404 but the keep-aspect-ratio=false flag is ignored so I get 720x406. This gives black space at the sides and top. I will happily select 2 pixels worth of distortion (which in practice isn't noticable) vs black space around the picture.

Please advise.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

mduell wrote:You want distorted video?
I would have thought that a custom preset should be honoured.
Why create a custom one otherwise?
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Exactly mike. Why indeed.

Judging by the silence this is working as intended and it won't change. Happy to be proved wrong, but in the mean time I'll have to go back to vidcoder. Configuring a custom preset for every encode is not practical, counter intuitive and down right annoying. :(
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Daz wrote: Judging by the silence this is working as intended and it won't change.
You could try VidCoder (which uses HandBrake).
VidCoder presets honour what YOU want them to do.

(Edit - Oh, you already have it 8) . So you get great encodes "via HandBrake", and innovative features that HB lacks :wink: )
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Yeah mate I had been using it for over a year because HB doesn't allow resolution to be set higher than source, even though there are genuine cases where it's necessary. I recently moved to a HD source and no longer need that option though so thought I'd come back to HB. Only to immediately turn back to Vidcoder becasue of yet another daft GUI restriction. :roll:

The HB GUI is meant to make using x264 easyer is it not. I don't understand these silly restrictions and knowone can give any reasons for them to be in place. :cry:

Nevertheless I am gratefull for handbrake, just wish it had a bit more common sense applied. Then it would usable and perfect. :?

I may start a new thread incase this is getting overlooked becasue it's a bump of an old one.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If your wanting upscaling, your much better off looking for something that offers a choice of scalers and picking the one best for whatever your doing. Most players do a far better job at upscaling than HandBrake can.

Also note, some issues around Presets and Keep AR is fixed in the nightlies (hopefully)
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Hi s55, the upscaling was not done for quality reasons but for compatibility with hardware players that don't recognise display resolution. These players would display 720*576 (storage resolution) instead of 1024*576 (display resolution), hence the need to upscale to 1024*576. I have moved to HD source now so don't need to do this day to day anymore. There are still occations when I do though when working with SD source.

Just tried the latest nightly 5521, when saving the preset and choosing Max Picture Size: None, Keep AR is no longer checked when loading your custom preset. Brilliant. However, the resolution is still auto adjusted to preserve AR. You have to select a different preset and then choose your custom one again for it to load your custom resolution and not auto adjust it.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

My advice would be "get a new hardware player" :P
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Your not gaining anything by upscaling to 1024x576, only losing. You're not getting the same result as if you encoded as anamorphic.
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Rodeo, haha that old chestnut, my hardware plays everything. :P Idealy everyone else would replace their hardware but In the real world it's not always possible. So I encode for maximum compatibility. And in fact quality doesn't suffer because with handbrake I would otherwise have to downscale to 720*400 and upscaled 1024*576 looks better than that.

s55, I not sure why your still talking about quality, I've never said quality is the reason for the upscaling, the reason is compatibility.

Back ontopic, do you understand what I said about AR in nightly 5521? Is it the intended behaviour? The tooltip suggests not.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

How exactly is 1024x576 more compatible than 720x576.

Checking the behavior of the res thing now.
Deleted User 11865

s55 wrote:How exactly is 1024x576 more compatible than 720x576.
You didn't read his previous reply well enough. Apparently whatever he uses for playback doesn't support anamorphic, and 1024x576 is better than both 720x576 (wrong AR) and 720x404 (downscaled). This scenario is why the LinGUI lets you upscale up to the display width, rather than the coded width.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Decided i'm going back to what the MacGUI does as this is our reference design. Neither 0.9.8 or 0.9.9 matched what it did correctly behavioral wise.
This may or may not work for you guys, I can think of a few scenarios this doesn't cover. I suspect you'll kinda get what you want by setting custom

There is no one solution fits all here, so it's a case of picking what works best for the majority and folks in the minority situations are left out.

p.s Mike -> Vidcoders behavior is also broken. You can't blindly save and reuse settings like he does. I was looking at what it was doing to see if it's something I should do, and it just distorted (to varying degrees) every single video that's not the same ar or cropping as the one that I created the preset with. This is really bad. Cropping is also screwed as it's knocking the AR out too.
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

Rodeo wrote:Apparently whatever he uses for playback doesn't support anamorphic
Everything I use supports anamorphic but I'm not the only one who will view my files so I have to take into consideration the players that are out there which don't support anamorphic.
Rodeo wrote:This scenario is why the LinGUI lets you upscale up to the display width, rather than the coded width.
Ah brilliant so the Linux GUI doesn't have this restriction.
s55 wrote:Vidcoders behavior is also broken. You can't blindly save and reuse settings like he does. I was looking at what it was doing to see if it's something I should do, and it just distorted (to varying degrees) every single video that's not the same ar or cropping as the one that I created the preset with. This is really bad. Cropping is also screwed as it's knocking the AR out too.
It's not broken, that's how it should work, you create custom presets for a specific source. It's to be expected that if you apply the same custom preset to another source with different properties it won't have the same outcome, because the custom preset wasn't made for that source.

All that is needed is for HB to load the resolution from the custom preset without adjusting it. If that was how "Max picture size: None" behaved then all bases would be covered.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

s55 wrote:it just distorted (to varying degrees) every single video that's not the same ar
Of course it would - as it's doing what is asked of it.
That is why it's a custom - for a particular video.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

s55 wrote:Cropping is also screwed as it's knocking the AR out too.
Is it not the PAR that's important? (as, rightly or wrongly, you can crop a video to any aspect ratio).

Original at 64:45 (PAR=Correct):
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/ ... da89aa.jpg

Cropped to (approx.) 4x3 (PAR=Correct):
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/ ... 55f37e.jpg

Any AR (example)(PAR=Correct):
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/ ... 398892.jpg
Deleted User 11865

mike20021969 wrote:
s55 wrote:it just distorted (to varying degrees) every single video that's not the same ar
Of course it would - as it's doing what is asked of it.
That is why it's a custom - for a particular video.
That's not how custom presets are meant to work in HandBrake. A custom preset is just like a built-in preset, and is meant to allow people to adjust built-ins in a way that still lets them use it for all or at the very least, several sources.

Because a particular bug suits your usage doesn't mean it's not a bug.

Edit: or do you mean custom anamorphic rather than a preset?
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Rodeo wrote: Edit: or do you mean custom anamorphic rather than a preset?
s55 was referring to VidCoder.

And yes, it IS a custom anamorphic. (64/45).
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Daz wrote: It's not broken, that's how it should work, you create custom presets for a specific source. It's to be expected that if you apply the same custom preset to another source with different properties it won't have the same outcome, because the custom preset wasn't made for that source.
+1.

VidCoders presets work as intended. I've never encountered a bug regarding presets.
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Back to HandBrake:
I think this was also mentioned regarding presets, whenever a new video is opened, you have to click to another preset then come back to the one you want as the numbers get screwed up. (It's probably by design, but very annoying).

Video screenshots:

HandBrake (svn5536) messing up (size 724.55KB): http://www.mediafire.com/?add4x9hzdk449q3

VidCoder (1.4.21) keeping things right (size 1005.2KB): http://www.mediafire.com/?hiyma8j99mjp1ax
Daz
Experienced

Post by Daz »

mike, Changeset 5525 seems to address the issue. So grab the latest nightly and try it out.

s55, A big big Thank You!
mike20021969
Experienced

Post by mike20021969 »

Daz wrote:So grab the latest nightly and try it out.
Preset numbers still getting screwed up with svn5550.

Video screenshot: http://www.mediafire.com/?2ubqxux97h76juc