CLI Automation in Windows

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Layne

CLI Automation in Windows

Post by Layne »

I apologize in advance if I missed this info and if I did, could someone please point me to it... Total noob here.

I am interested in automating Handbrake as much as possible. I delved into the CLI and understand it a bit. What I have been unable to do is truly automate Handbrake.

What I would like to do is to design a script to automate the following functionality:
1. Instert DVD
2. Click on script and have Handbrake rip at specified settings to a specified folder
I would also like to have each successive rip have its own name, yet didnt see that option in the CLI.

I have a situation where I will have 8-10 DVDs I need to rip each day for streaming web content and I need to automate the process as mucch as possible so other people can do it with little to no interaction.

On a side note, "Set current options as program defaults" does not seem to work... I have tried using it to save settings both before and after a rip and the settings are not saved when I reopen Handbrake.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

On a side note, "Set current options as program defaults" does not seem to work... I have tried using it to save settings both before and after a rip and the settings are not saved when I reopen Handbrake.
You need to enable it, Tools Menu > Options
Layne

Post by Layne »

sr55 wrote:
You need to enable it, Tools Menu > Options
Thanks. That will help a lot. I looked at that setting probably 10x and it never even crossed my mind that it was needed. Sigh... :roll:
Layne

Post by Layne »

Is there a way to force Handbrake not to overwrite files with the same name or ask to change file name when choosing destination?

Thanks.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

um, it already alerts you if you select a file that already exists. You simply rename the file like every other application.
Layne

Post by Layne »

sr55 wrote:um, it already alerts you if you select a file that already exists. You simply rename the file like every other application.
Will test again, yet I could have sworn it just over-wrote without asking after saving the default settings for user, closing app, opening and encoding using saved/default settings. Thanks for your quick response and your patience.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It only alerts you when you hit the browse button and select a destionation. (with the file broswe dialogue, like every other win app)

It will overwrite if you save the location with above mentioned feature. You need to change it for each encode.
Layne

Post by Layne »

sr55 wrote:It only alerts you when you hit the browse button and select a destionation. (with the file broswe dialogue, like every other win app)

It will overwrite if you save the location with above mentioned feature. You need to change it for each encode.
Thanks for the info.
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Hmmm. Just a thought, and maybe for the sake of discussion, while reading this thread.

Is there any way the HandBrake CLI can be enabled as a VFW option, or if there's no way have there been any plans/thoughts of a VFW version?

I'm currently experimenting with the "DeBugMode Frameserver plugin", but I don't have the extensive knowledge for this.

I personally think it's an interesting idea. For example, one can use any app for editing, audio, even authoring and export frames to the HandBrake CLI for H.264 encoding.

Just curious what people think of this, whether it's a great, good, bad, stupid or impossible idea...or even a whole new thread...

...or if this is an idea similar to that certain "hardware pen" thingy, then my apologies in advance. I was just raising a thought that may have been beneficial towards future, more powerful, versions of HandBrake. :D
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

PuzZLeR wrote:Is there any way the HandBrake CLI can be enabled as a VFW option, or if there's no way have there been any plans/thoughts of a VFW version?
No, and no, as VFW is a Windows-only solution and HandBrake is a multiplatform tool.

What you're describing, ironically, is essentially AviSynth - which is well-proven and extremely powerful. AviSynth's output will also feed x264 CLI directly, BTW, as it will mencoder.

Rodney
PuzZLeR
Bright Spark User

Post by PuzZLeR »

Hello Rhester/Rodney,
rhester wrote:No, and no, as VFW is a Windows-only solution and HandBrake is a multiplatform tool.
Understood.
What you're describing, ironically, is essentially AviSynth - which is well-proven and extremely powerful. AviSynth's output will also feed x264 CLI directly, BTW, as it will mencoder.
Yes, AVISynth is the premium app for this. Too bad I'm lazy to master it... It's just that I love VideoStudio very much as my editor and would love to find a way to feed frames and command lines to either x264, or even better, the HB CLI...

The HB CLI may be a problem due to its, mostly DvD-only input, however I'm still sniffing around with it.

Apparently, one of my undergraduate degrees was Computer Science back in 1992. But all the years in business have made me soft in this stuff since. I no longer have the skills... :(

I am willing actually to find, and pay, an engineering firm that could custom tailor this for me.

Gee. COUGH...COUGH... gotta end this post now...I MUST now check my PM box in case I got any messages ....COUGH COUGH... wouldn't wanna be rude to any fine and BRIGHT HandBrake friends I'm making...yes...COUGH COUGH...someone could be sending me a message even now...COUGH COUGH...