MKV->MP4/H.264 File Not Readable After Conversion Completes

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rnbarg

MKV->MP4/H.264 File Not Readable After Conversion Completes

Post by rnbarg »

I ripped a Bluray disk to 4 MKV files, ranging in size between 8 and 10 gb each.

I then used Handbrake to encode them as MP4s using the standard MP4 profile using H.264.

The conversion completed, but the files are not readable by any player. I tried the preview mode for the files and the preview file encoded fine, suggesting it may be the sheer size of the MPV file that is a problem.

As Handbrake is the best encoder out there, I am hesitant to try anything else.

Any ideas?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: MKV->MP4/H.264 File Not Readable After Conversion Comple

Post by TedJ »

Are your output files greater than 4 GB in size, by any chance?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#fourgb
vid.user

Post by vid.user »

Are the files larger than 4GB? Did you select "large file"? If the files are 4GB+ and you didn't select "large file" then they won't work.
If you did select "large file" then the resulting 64-bit MP4s 'may not' be playable in your standalone players.
rnbarg

Post by rnbarg »

Checking this setting fixed the problem. I was able to play it with WM Player. The intended destination is an NTFS formatted USB thumb drive that will be plugged into my dad's Samsung HDTV. This is not a standalone player, but something else. Anyone have an idea if it will work. It plays 32 bit files fine and plays large .mpv and .mpg files?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

You could also try increasing the RF for your Blu-ray encodes. The default used in the presets is 20, which is suitable for DVD but may be overkill for Blu-ray... try increasing it to 22-23 and see if the quality is still acceptable.
rnbarg

Post by rnbarg »

Here's another interesting detail. My dad's Samsung HDTV is a 32" 720p model. Yet the specs for Samsung's USB slot-based media app/player require that the resolution of all HD media in the USB jump drive slot be 1080i/p, ie 1920x1080. I sent him a 720p encoded MP4 and it wouldn't play. The 1080p material plays fine. Why would that be?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Lazy software developers.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Because it requires 1080?

SC
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Smithcraft wrote:Because it requires 1080?
Well, yes. Only supporting one resolution is stupid.
rnbarg

Post by rnbarg »

Here is the link to the manual - the specs are on page 10:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owner ... EH4003FXZA#

It appears that the Samsung models this applies to are a mix of 720p and 1080p models and Samsung opted to allow only 1080p content to play, for whatever reason. My dad's model, Samsung UN32EH4003, did not play the 720p file I sent to him - said "not supported".

I will report back on the results of the whether the mp4 generated using the "large file" setting works in his media setup. Otherwise I will have to use a utility to split the source MKV file and encode both of them.