Handbrake 0.9.8 - Which Audio should i use

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
glenpinn

Handbrake 0.9.8 - Which Audio should i use

Post by glenpinn »

hi peeps, i am filming video with a HDC-SDT750 cam that shoot 1080/50p with the following 6ch AC3 @ 48khz @ 384br Audio thru the onboard mic.

i use Handbrake to convert to Mp4 @ RF20 and up until now was using AAC ffmpeg / stereo/48Khz @ 384br

i understand that Handbrake uses AAC faac by default but was told to use ffmpeg so i did.

anyway, i have now decided to re-convert all my edited m2ts source files to Mp4 using "Auto Passthru" audio setting so i am keeping the original Audio from the cameras.

Question is, am i better to use "Auto Passthru" to preserve the original audio, or should i just continue outputting the Mp4 files using AAC ffmpeg / stereo/48Khz @ 384br.

i do not use any kind of home theatre system, i basically play the Mp4 files thru my big plasma and LCD tv's built in media player or using a dedicated hdd media player thru the tv'.

i just want the best sounding Audio i can get, and have audio that is compatible with most playback devices using stereo.

cheers

EDIT: i cant post an Activity Log because my question is not about a problem with handbrake, it is a general question regarding audio settings, and i have posted this topic in other forums such as Videohelp.com but i get no reply.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake 0.9.8 - Which Audio should i use

Post by Smithcraft »

I use pass through. You might get better sound through your teevee by using a stereo mixdown.

Perhaps the most commonly accepted format might be AAC. If you don't mind the file size, look at the ATV presets that have an AAC track and an AC3 passthrough track.

SC
glenpinn

Post by glenpinn »

Smithcraft wrote:I use pass through. You might get better sound through your teevee by using a stereo mixdown.

Perhaps the most commonly accepted format might be AAC. If you don't mind the file size, look at the ATV presets that have an AAC track and an AC3 passthrough track.
hi, when you say that you use "Passthru" do you refer to "Auto Passthru" where you replicate the audio from the source file, or do you mean AAC Auto passthru.

cheers

EDIT: on my desktop pc i use stereo speakers, and the AAC audio is always louder than the m2ts source file audio at the same volume level, but the AAC sounds has a somewhat echo sound to it, not as nice as the original audio.

also, regarding AAC audio, i have found it hard to get a definitive answer on whether i should use faac or ffmpeg.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Passthrough passes the audio stream through. Auto passthrough is just the convenient way to have Handbrake pass through the audio stream without having to specify a specific stream type, like AC3 pass through, DTS pass through, DTS-HD pass through, and so on and so on. So when I say pass through, I am referring to either a specific pass through, or auto pass through.

This is as opposed to transcoding the audio stream from it's source to AAC(faac), or AAC(ffmpeg), or MP3, or FLAC, or AC3(ffmpeg).

I also don't have to worry about if it sounds as good as the original audio, since it is the original audio.

SC
glenpinn

Post by glenpinn »

hi again, thanks for your help.

so far i have encoded all my 1080/50p m2ts files to Mp4 using both Auto Passthru, and another copy done using AAC ffmpeg/stereo/48khz/384br.

i have lots of hdd storage space so its all good, but i still need to know if i should be using AAC ffmpeg or AAC faac.

cheers
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Does your TV play the audio if you include the AC3 Passthru track only? Do you intend to play your videos on an iOS device or smartphone at some point?

If those answers are yes and no, respectively, then you don't need any AAC track.