DTS 7.1 tracks not showing?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

DTS 7.1 tracks not showing?

Post by mkelley »

Using the latest nightly build I noticed that when I select DTS on a disc I know has 7.1 DTS tracks it only shows the tracks as 5.1. I actually never paid any attention to this before (even though I have a 7.1 audio system) because my device (WDTV Live) can't play 7.1 but I'm just wondering now if this is normal? IOW, does a 7.1 DTS track *ever* show up that way? (If you tell me to put a disc log I can, but I'm really just interested in the general question. If Handbrake can indeed display and rip 7.1 tracks then I can find out why it's not working in this particular case, but I suspect this is more of a general "it can't do that" question).
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Re: DTS 7.1 tracks not showing?

Post by mkelley »

Well, I haven't answered my own question, but I do note that when I use the nightly (with the DTS-MA passthrough) that even though it only shows 5.1 channels as a track selection, after the file is Handbrakes the MA track has 7.1 channels (the normal DTS passthrough track still only has the 5.1 channels).

So... I'm guessing the DTS passthrough is "broke" but the new DTS-MA passthrough works, at least insofar as final output is concerned (still broken in terms of display purposes) -- for purposes of more than 5.1 channels.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

HandBrake can only scan and decode the DTS core of a DTS-HD track, as well as the DTS-ES extension (XCh). It can never have more than 6.1 channels. The information displayed is about the core (+ XCh if present).

DTS-HD Passthru doesn't need a decoder so the full track (including all "HD" extensions) is passed through.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Thanks -- that's kind of what I was thinking.

If you don't mind, one more quick question along the same lines -- does the AC3 passthrough passthrough True-HD in the same manner as the DTS-HD passthrough passes the full track? I'm not sure I've ever tried this (I have very few blu-rays with True-HD, and up until now didn't have a 7.1 system so it was never a concern for me).
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

- DTS Passthru passed the DTS core though

- DTS-HD Passthru passes the DTS-HD track through

- AC3 Passthru passes an AC3 track through

- TrueHD Passthru is not yet implemented

While Blu-ray mandates that an AC3 substream be interleaved when TrueHD is used (because, unlike for HD-DVD, TrueHD decoding and/or bitstreaming is not mandatory in the Blu-ray spec.), it is not a "core" substream - the AC3 and TrueHD can be decoded independently.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Ah -- okay then (I guess using something like TSMuxer to rip the track and remuxing with something like MakeMKV is the only way to get True-HD on a Handbraked file, then).
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

I did just that when I came home after tennis -- used an old Handbraked file and reripped my blu-ray disc and just added the True-HD to the result and it looks perfect and seems to play in True-HD on my player. So it's not a bad process (although it would be really nice if this could be incorporated into Handbrake just like the DTS-MA passthrough was).