Trouble copying

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
ollyk

Trouble copying

Post by ollyk »

Hi folks I have managed to grab a copy of some tv content on to a DVD encoded DVD+R disk, and would like to copy this disk. The program is just under an hour long and plays fine on the computer and DVD player, but whenever I try to make a copy with handbrake, I only get 28 minutes! I think there are reports of a read error but I don't full understand the log so can someone help me please?

I have uploaded the text file here

http://www.btinternet.com/~olly_k/dvd.txt

Is there anything I can do to rectify this?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Trouble copying

Post by Smithcraft »

Maybe pre-ripping with something like MakeMKV will give you workable files that you can use Handbrake on.

SC
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Set-top DVD recorder?
Run your files through the Quickstream Fix utility in VideoRedo first.
VideoRedo has a free trial.
ollyk

Post by ollyk »

Smithcraft wrote:Maybe pre-ripping with something like MakeMKV will give you workable files that you can use Handbrake on.

SC
Unfortunately came up with a fault and so didn't produce any output, thanks for suggesting!
musicvid wrote:Set-top DVD recorder?

Will try that later thanks :)
ollyk

Post by ollyk »

musicvid wrote:Set-top DVD recorder?
Hi with the dvd containing VOB files I cannot seem to get the software to perform the quickstream action :( Am I snookered?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Copy the disc folders to your desktop first, and run QSF on that.
Are they really VOB or VRO files?

Another one to try is TSDoctor (I haven't used it).
ollyk

Post by ollyk »

unfortunately it comes up with an error when I try that :/ Weird how I can play the disk but not manipulate the files in any way!

Exact error is cannot copy vts_01_1: Data Error (cyclic Redundancy Check).
Flo
Bright Spark User

Post by Flo »

Is the disc dirty or scratched?
ollyk

Post by ollyk »

Minor scratches but nothing that I would consider serious, and like I said it plays without fault, so I am surprised there isn't a bit of software that can work through the problem like GOM player and equivalents seem to be able to do!
Flo
Bright Spark User

Post by Flo »

Playing and ripping are two entirely different scenarios. Players interpolate to gloss over read errors. Rippers need to be able to read the data perfectly. You could try something like Unstoppable Copier, but trying to get the scratches out for a perfect rip would probably be better (toothpaste helps with shallow scratches).
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Also "Brasso" and use a piece of cardboard to polish will work well also.
NoBrakes!

Post by NoBrakes! »

Same prob here. DVD of camera video plays fine but doesnt rip to mp4/m4v. Ran thru Isobuster and made new iso with "errors written as zeros" option but still stops conversion at 5min/ first error location on file. There must be some simple-copy app out there to copy disc regardless of errors, same as just playing it!
Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock »

Copying errors leaves you with an erroneous file. Players skip the errors as a way of hiding how fragile optical media really is. When you see the glitch on your display, you write it off as being a problem with the disk.

But I'm sure you'd complain about glitches when playing from the computer, correct? You'd forget about the scratched surface of the original disk within 24 hours of converting the screwed up file.

With the bad sectors replaced with zeros, the data stream because unusable to the encoder, so it stopped. Where does it restart? A player would simply move to the next sector it could read, but a data stream of zeros doesn't say "zeros here are not data, skip to XXXX for valid data".

Reminds me of work - "Why is field X blank?" "There was no data supplied for field X." "But there is always data for field X!" "No, there SHOULD ALWAYS be data for field X. But, if you don't tell us what it is, the system can't read your mind and fill it in."