CPU Core Temperature

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Flakbait

CPU Core Temperature

Post by Flakbait »

Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep my cpu core temperature down when using handbrake?

I'd like to put multiple items into my queue but it makes me nervous running more than one thing because my cpu gets super hot. I've put the maximum amount of fans in my case and I put more thermal paste on my cpu but the temperature goes from around 47C to 87/90C when I'm using handbrake. It feels borderline dangerous to really commit a lot of jobs.
Deleted User 13735

Re: CPU Core Temperature

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

That's pretty warm.
Too much thermal paste can make temperatures go up.
Ideal thermal transmission would occur with a layer one molecule thick.
A great CPU fan is cheap insurance.
Don't overclock or raise voltages.
texaporte

Post by texaporte »

musicvid wrote:A great CPU fan is cheap insurance.
Registered to this forum just to say this. Would suggest a new cooler. Depending on your case you may be able to get something nice. Do not let your processor swim in your thermal paste.

This one has a ton of reviews as a replacement fan / average fan.

Noctua is a great company that has a reputation for being able to push a lot of air through cases/CPU fins.
Flo
Bright Spark User

Post by Flo »

As musicvid said, with thermal paste, less is more. It's only meant to bridge the gaps where direct metal-on-metal (heatspreader to heatsink) contact does not occur, not to be an extra layer between the two.

Also, simply stuff your case with fans won't help. You need to create proper airflow. That means not only getting fresh air into the case (front and side fans commonly serve that function), but getting the hot air out of the case (top, rear). Make sure you don't have fans working against each other.
Flakbait

Post by Flakbait »

I used core temp after redoing the airflow in my computer. My cpu doesn't go above 83C when running handbrake. Does anyone know what temp my computer shouldn't exceed when running handbrake? I'm using an Intel Core 3.06GHz i7 cpu.

What's normal for you guys when you run handbrake with multiple jobs in your queue?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Assuming it is a i7-950, Intel indicates that 70 is the max supported temp. However, you can go up to 95 and still be ok if that is the 100% CPU usage.

http://communities.intel.com/message/155807
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/30579 ... -safe-temp

SC
mithrandir
Enlightened

Post by mithrandir »

It's a quick fix but you can slow down the encoding process by using fewer threads. This will reduce CPU utilization and heat generation.

On the Advanced tab of Handbrake append the following to textarea at the bottom:

Code: Select all

:threads=3
You can use a higher or lower number, it's something you can experiment with.