VFR produces files with constant frame rate

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
rcrh

VFR produces files with constant frame rate

Post by rcrh »

I encode ota recordings that are broadcast at 59.940 frames. To get my encoded file to play back smoothly I've had to encode it at 29.97 frames and I use Peak Frame Rate so that duplicate frames can be discarded.

I've noticed that if the source was 1080i I end up with a much smaller file and that its framerate is listed as VARIABLE. But, if the source was 720p I end up with a larger file and its framerate is listed as CONSTANT.

Does VFR only work with 1080i sources or am I doing something else wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Deleted User 11865

Re: VFR produces files with constant frame rate

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Well, now that's something. Most people usually complain that CRF gives VFR output, not the opposite.

Variable and Peak framerate modes will always give variable framerate output (which will be flagged as such in the H.264 stream), but if your source is 59.94 fps CFR, it's quite likely that the output will have a constant framerate (in that all frame durations will be identical).

As for what gets listed (constant or variable), it really depends on whatever app you're using to inspect your files.
rcrh

Re: VFR produces files with constant frame rate

Post by rcrh »

OK, well at least this suggests that I'm not doing anything wrong.

BTW, I'm using MediaInfo 0.7.57.

Thanks.