0.9.6 with AC3 Passthru for MP4?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
gordonf238

0.9.6 with AC3 Passthru for MP4?

Post by gordonf238 »

Hey guys!
I'm glad to have used Handbrake over the past year. I've made a donation for the time and effort the team has put into this wonderful tool.

I've used Handbrake 0.9.5 up until now on my WinXP machine. I use AnyDVD to decode Blu-Ray discs, and rip them directly with Handbrake as MP4 files, with two audio tracks (first being Stereo, the second being AC3 Passthru). This works great for my AppleTV which passes the second audio track as AC3 and my receiver then decodes it as Dolby Digital, giving me full 5.1 channels of surround.

One thing I've noticed after upgrading to 0.9.6 however, is that the DTS audio track in Handbrake can no longer be Passed Thru as AC3 (only DTS Passthru). The issue here is that AppleTV doesn't support DTS passthru on MP4 files. In fact, I don't think it supports DTS Passthru at all. I know because I've tried encoding movies with the second audio track as DTS Passthru, but when playing it back through AppleTV, my receiver only states that Stereo sound is playing (normally it shows Dolby D).

Is there something I'm doing wrong, or how would I otherwise get AC3 and DTS sound from Blu-Ray to get encoded as only AC3 Passthru?

In any case, thanks for your time, and please keep up the great work!
rollin_eng
Veteran User

Re: 0.9.6 with AC3 Passthru for MP4?

Post by rollin_eng »

You can convert DTS to AC3 by selecting 'AC3(ffmpeg)'
gordonf238

Post by gordonf238 »

Gotcha. However, selecting AC3 ffmpeg, I'm still forced to choose a mixdown. I don't want the audio transcoded to Dolby Surround, or any of the other deprecated options. in 0.9.5 selecting AC3 Passthru worked, even if the source was DTS. With 0.9.6, it just defaults to DTS Passthru, which, with AppleTV, is useless.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Use 6-channel discrete.