Can TV braodcasts fool software about quality?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phototaker
Experienced

Can TV braodcasts fool software about quality?

Post by Phototaker »

I recorded a SD broadcast 720x576 & used my preset. It looked pretty good. I then noticed that the same TV channel was broadcasting the same program on their HD channel a couple od days later so I recorded the same program again. This was supposed to be 1400x1080. I encoded the program for a second time using the same preset. I had expected the results to be better but instead they were worse.

Could the poorer than expected results be because I didn't alter the frame size or has the tv station just fooled the software into thinking that it was processing a higher quality file than it really was?
Deleted User 13735

Re: Can TV braodcasts fool software about quality?

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Your TV station was uprezzing SD for broadcast over their HD channel. As you saw, this does not improve the quality . . .
Phototaker
Experienced

Post by Phototaker »

I presume that if I encounter this again I just as well might as well save the original SD file with my original preset? And If I only have the HD boadcast I may as keep it as broadcast? Correct?
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Yes, save the original format if at all possible. There is no way to know how your broadcaster is upscaling the source.