Encode the size.. wheres the feature gone ?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mappyman

Encode the size.. wheres the feature gone ?

Post by mappyman »

I used the encode to size feature quite a lot in 0.9.5 for my gameplay footage.

Updated to 0.9.6 and the features not there ? Why ? :shock: :cry:

Where can I download 0.9.5 again ?

Thanks.
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Encode the size.. wheres the feature gone ?

Post by TedJ »

It was removed prior to the 0.9.5 release because it was becoming increasingly broken due to the advent of VFR and the imminent adoption of VBR audio... that and the developers got sick of people complaining of a 1.5-2% overshoot on their target file size. You can always use an online bitrate calculator and ABR encoding to generate output of an approximate size or you can download the 0.9.5 release here.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

If you're only using target file size because "that's how you've always done it", I strongly urge you to give constant quality a try. It's a significantly better compression metric.
mappyman

Post by mappyman »

I dont mind the 1-2% over shoots on files in 0.9.5, my gameplay goes on Youtube & DVD so I know how many matches I can save.

Calculating files using a bit calculator is fine when im only dealing with a couple of file but when ive got 20-30 game matchs its more time consuming.

Anyway ive gone back to 0.9.5 where the feature works great for doing lots of files at once. :D 8)
p9600

Post by p9600 »

Darn, I liked knowing what the size would roughly turn out to be, even if it wasn’t very accurate. Could it be left in as an experimental or hidden feature while allowing us to use the updated libraries and get used to the new features?
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

It's gone, and it's not coming back.

SC