Save custom preset

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
blumi

Save custom preset

Post by blumi »

I searched this forum about it and found a lot who have problems with this but no real solution which helps me.

I try to save a custom preset, but not all settings are saved.
For example the cropping, change to custom and 4 x the value 0.
Save preset, the next time I load it, the value is custom.

What can I do to save it.

The file location of the user_presets.xml is in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake
The filedate changes with every save.

Tried 0.9.5 and a nightly build #4416 all the same

What do I wrong, how to save this feature?
Lobo

Re: Save custom preset

Post by Lobo »

I've also had some issues with custom presets, although mine are setting the resolution.

The solution I used is to edit the user_presets.xml file and add the syntax manually. In my case, I use "-w <width>" for my settings, where <width> is the value I want.

In your case, see if adding "-crop x:x:x:x" works. If you want all zeroes, try "-crop 0:0:0:0." (Minus the quotes, of course.)

I've done encodes where I specify a custom crop value and when I check the log, I see this in command line of the job. I'm not sure which value corresponds to the UI, but if I had to guess it would be top:bottom:left:right.

If Handbrake is open when you make the change, close it and restart it to see if the change is picked up.

Good luck!
azvampyre

Post by azvampyre »

(If your running Windows 7/Vista) I had that problem at first; I'm guessing user_presets are read only. I had luck logging in as Administrator, then running HB as Administrator and setting my custom preset, then closing HB and signing in as Owner, reopening it as non-Admin and it would save the settings.
blumi

Post by blumi »

I did some tests with run as admin -> save presets -> run as user, no changes.
I made changes in the file system and added everyone with full permission for the folder with the presets, no changes.

I edited the user_presets.xml and checked the -crop
It was in the preset -> <Query> -f mkv --detelecine --decomb --crop 0:0:0:0
Then I did the following changes.
<CropSettings>true</CropSettings> -> This was false
After that the settings worked fine for the picture.