Blu-Rays for Apple TV - Harry Potter Issue

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
StPatty33

Blu-Rays for Apple TV - Harry Potter Issue

Post by StPatty33 »

Hello, all!
I'm new to the community and LOVE the program so far! I've been using it to back up my purchased blu-rays and import them into iTunes for use with my Apple TV. I'm having a couple issues that I wanted to seek guidance on, if you can help!

1) My movies seem to have a frame skip on a regular basis. It's something that other people in my household don't even notice, but I'm a perfectionist and I definitely notice it. The settings I use are Apple TV 2, and the adjustments I make are that I change the frame rate to "same as original" instead of 29.97, and I choose "constant quality" at 21. I've tried converting directly from the blu-ray, from the blu-ray m2ts after ripped onto the hard drive, and from a restructured m2ts mixed down with Clown BD (for those blu-rays that have the main movie split between more than 1 m2ts file), and they all have the frame skip. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Do I just need to sacrifice a little bit of quality for this to run better (maybe a 25 on the constant scale)? The main reason I started doing this was the awesome quality of the 1280xXXX video, so I hope not much quality needs to be sacrificed.

2) With the combination of programs I'm using (AnyDVD, Handbrake, Clown BD when necessary) I've backed up much of my collection so far, but the Harry Potter movies (specifically 2, 3, and 4--so I assume those after that as well) are giving me issues. When I point Handbrake towards the m2ts file, it either sits there trying to open it indefinitely (more than 15 minutes before I close it out), or gives me an error. From a bit of googling it looks like it may be related to the crazy number of subtitle files on these movies--something about them going over the limit for the program. Any advice on how to remedy this would be great!

PS--I had been using a program called AVS 4 YOU before this, which has severe limitations (audio MUST be converted to stereo instead of surround, etc)... I greatly appreciate your program after using that one!

Thanks,
StPatty33
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Blu-Rays for Apple TV - Harry Potter Issue

Post by mduell »

StPatty33 wrote:1) My movies seem to have a frame skip on a regular basis. It's something that other people in my household don't even notice, but I'm a perfectionist and I definitely notice it. The settings I use are Apple TV 2, and the adjustments I make are that I change the frame rate to "same as original" instead of 29.97, and I choose "constant quality" at 21. I've tried converting directly from the blu-ray, from the blu-ray m2ts after ripped onto the hard drive, and from a restructured m2ts mixed down with Clown BD (for those blu-rays that have the main movie split between more than 1 m2ts file), and they all have the frame skip. Does anyone know how to remedy this? Do I just need to sacrifice a little bit of quality for this to run better (maybe a 25 on the constant scale)? The main reason I started doing this was the awesome quality of the 1280xXXX video, so I hope not much quality needs to be sacrificed.
First you need to post the encoding log so we know what you actually did. Too often user's claims about settings don't match reality.
StPatty33 wrote:2) With the combination of programs I'm using (AnyDVD, Handbrake, Clown BD when necessary) I've backed up much of my collection so far, but the Harry Potter movies (specifically 2, 3, and 4--so I assume those after that as well) are giving me issues. When I point Handbrake towards the m2ts file, it either sits there trying to open it indefinitely (more than 15 minutes before I close it out), or gives me an error. From a bit of googling it looks like it may be related to the crazy number of subtitle files on these movies--something about them going over the limit for the program. Any advice on how to remedy this would be great!
Rip with software like MakeMKV that lets you choose which subs to include.
Tree Dude
Enlightened

Re: Blu-Rays for Apple TV - Harry Potter Issue

Post by Tree Dude »

Try changing the FPS from peak to constant. Also, do you see frames skip when playing back on your PC?