Do these files need 2 pass encoding again?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Phototaker
Experienced

Do these files need 2 pass encoding again?

Post by Phototaker »

I have been gradually changing my videos to you more efficient code & keeping the files of a dedicated media drive. All of these newer recordings have been done using 2 pass encoding.

Now I find that I have already have a few videos that had been ripped & stored on my PC's HDD . All of these files had originally been ripped & encoded using 2 pass encoding. Am I correct in assuming that there is no reason to use Handbrakes 2 pass option on these since the work has already been done.

I did a search on your web site & but could not find any confirmation of my question.
Last edited by Phototaker on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Do these files new 2 pass encoding again?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

If your goal is to get the best quality and you don't have strict size limitations, don't use 2 pass. Use constant quality mode instead. It results in more consistent quality and encodes faster since it is only a single pass.

When you use average bitrate mode, the encoder uses the rate you've asked for even on complex scenes where that bitrate would result in inferior quality. It will also use that same rate when a much lower bitrate would suffice (e.g. simple static scene). So it's the worst of both worlds. It's *only* advantage is that you can guarantee a certain file size.
Phototaker
Experienced

Re: Do these files need 2 pass encoding again?

Post by Phototaker »

I had assumed that the files in question had already been made of constant quality.

I have just encoded a file that was just over 4GB & expected a file to be less than 1GB & set the switch to constant quality but I ended up with a file size about 5 times this. I had thought that the old MPEG2 files would look about as good as the original but would be about 1/4 of the size.

Should I have just used a preset instead of nominating a bit rate?