video washed out.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jonyah

video washed out.

Post by jonyah »

I've been doing a lot of rips, and noticing that the video is washed out compared to watching the actual dvd. When there are black bars, they are more of a grey and the colors aren't as vibrant. I've played back my m4v alongside the original dvd and the quality is very noticeable. What could I be doing to do this.

Mainly, I'm using the PS3 preset since that's currently my media player, until the DSM-750 comes out from DLink. I set the chapter markers (which is why it's an m4v), anamorphic PAR and other various combination of de-interlace and 2-pass. I'm also not sure what the "value=41" does in the h.264 tab and can't find any info on it, though I've done conversions with and without it. Every attempt I've done still is very washed out.

Any help would be appreciated.
jonyah

Post by jonyah »

Here's an example of what i'm talking about.

jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Hint: play it in something that isn't QuickTime before claiming the video is washed out. Almost certainly, the video is fine and QT plays it washed out. VLC is a good arbiter for this.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1112

And it's "level=41" not "value=41"...it tells the ps3 the video can be played and isn't beyond the device's capabilities. Levels are descriptive terms for different bitrate and resolution combinations available in h.264.
jonyah

Post by jonyah »

thanks for the reply. now what if no matter what app i play it in it still looks washed out? Is there a specific app you suggest that I should try playing it with?

edit: it's possible it's the codec i have installed on this machine. I just tried the same video on my vista machine that has a different codec and it looks much better. -Thanks.