ERROR: No Title(s) found.

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
sharp

ERROR: No Title(s) found.

Post by sharp »

I encoded a movie once, but the video was all messed up so I tried to do it again. I put in the DVD, selected the DVD source "D:\VIDEO_TS", and after scanning the disc for about 10 seconds an error message pops us that says "ERROR: No Title(s) found." Any idea what's causing this or how to fix this?
cronuslord

Re: ERROR: No Title(s) found.

Post by cronuslord »

sharp wrote:I encoded a movie once, but the video was all messed up so I tried to do it again. I put in the DVD, selected the DVD source "D:\VIDEO_TS", and after scanning the disc for about 10 seconds an error message pops us that says "ERROR: No Title(s) found." Any idea what's causing this or how to fix this?
I'm having this same problem, except I have yet to encode a video even once. This is my first time in the program, and I'm already getting that. I hope someone has an answer for this.
asiv

problems encoding

Post by asiv »

I have a somewhat similar problem. The dvd goes in and Handbreak has a problem reading the DVD, sets the dvd title and chapters to automatic, and all that gets encoded is chapter 1 out of 12. When chapters are manually typed in ( ie "1", "3", 3-7) still only the first chapter comes out.
Help!

Noob
Crystazul

Post by Crystazul »

I am having the same problem as these people, any solutions? :(
angel-anger

Post by angel-anger »

I was also having the same problem. After poking through the faqs it looks like Handbrake won't recognize a title unless you have running anti copyright protection program running.

I'm using Anydvd http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html but I also heard dvd43 works most of the time and it's free http://www.dvd43.com/

Once those programs are running just start handbrake as normal and then select the dvd video folder as before.

This only occurs on windows machines cause I tried the mac version of the program out and it works fine without the additional program. Adding a little tag explaining this on tthe front of Handbrake would be very helpful and eliminate a lot of questions.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This only occurs on windows machines cause I tried the mac version of the program out and it works fine without the additional program. Adding a little tag explaining this on tthe front of Handbrake would be very helpful and eliminate a lot of questions.
The upcoming release has had that error manged changed to:

"No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. Please refer to the FAQ for details."
asiv

no titles continued

Post by asiv »

The source dvd's i'm using are my own home movies, nothing illegal, nothing copy-protected. So just changing the error message does not fix handbrake's problem in my case.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

If its not reading homemade DVD's then chances are they haven't been created correctly.
asiv

no titles

Post by asiv »

The videos run perfectly on any video player, and i have had no problem burning and editing using other software, and have since used other software to convert the same home DVD's to mp4. I'm just continuing the post to try and help - my Mac friends swear by Handbreak, but it seems to have issues with Windows and changing an error message or saying the problem is the user will not solve whatever is not working with the program.

Best of luck
stebie

Post by stebie »

Sorry for replying to an old(er) thread, but...

I'm getting the same message but, for me, I strongly believe the issue is not related to the DVD inserted, as for me every DVD I provided - using AnyDVD and some previously decrypted with DVD Decrypter - failed with the same message.

It appears that duplicate cygwin1.dll of differing versions can cause problems. In my case, I had an existing cygwin1.dll for OpenSSH, 1128KB in size and dated 26/05/2004. What I did is delete all found cygwin1.dll files (in my case, there were actually two - one was in a temp folder) and replace them with the cygwin1.dll file located in the Handrake install folder.

After doing this, I have been able to proceed with Handbrake.

I would recommend the FAQ (#15) be updated, advising the error message returned could also be caused by duplicate/older cygwin1.dll files, as it appears the following error (which is returned by hbcli.exe) is not handled correctly (at present):

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\Handbrake>hbcli -h
    137 [main] ? (4960) C:\Program Files\Handbrake\hbcli.exe: *** fatal error -
system shared memory version mismatch detected - 0x75BE0074/0x2D1E009C.
This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
as it is returning in a Windows dialog box:

"No Title(s) found. Please make sure you have selected a valid, non-copy protected source. Please refer to the FAQ for details."

For the record, I'm currently using Handbrake GUI v2.4.

Searching for cygwin1.dll in these forums will show that a few people have been affected by this issue.

Hope this helps!
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

I really don't know how do you guys succeed in making HB 2.4 work on Windows ...
Everything I try fails. Files, folders, etc. on several XP machines. No way.

For instance, if I try with a file, I always get the message :
How can DVD titles be found on .mpg or .ts files ???

@stebie :
The cygwin1.dll you delete was in %PATH% variable ?
Because I don't know how can cygwin1.dll in folder A interfere with program in folder B ...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Deckard wrote:The cygwin1.dll you delete was in %PATH% variable ?
Because I don't know how can cygwin1.dll in folder A interfere with program in folder B ...
cygwin1.dll loads as a global - the first app to load it from anywhere will never unload it until you reboot. If it's old, and you have an app with a different and newer copy, the second app will fail. This is a known limitation of cygwin and not a HandBrake issue - Google will tell you a great deal more about this phenomenon.

Rodney
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Ok but if you don't launch the app with old version and simply start HB, it will use his own cygwin1.dll ?
So cygwin1.dll in folder A can interfere with program in folder B if it has be launched before.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I believe so.

If there is a problem with the cygwin1.dll it will either tell you about

a) A version conflict
b) The File was not found.

If you don't recieve either error then you dont have a problem with the dll
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

Ok.
Once again, I just can't use HB with any of my ripped DVD.
I'm fascinated to see people talking about encoding with it ...
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

OK, What are you using to decrypt the DVD's?
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

I mostly use RipIt4Me or DVDShrink. I keep movie only, with one audio track and one subtitle track.
Analysis runs fine but when CLI close itself, the GUI crash.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

a) XP / Vista?

I'll thorw together a quick build tomorrow which has some debug stuff built in which should pinpoint where the crash is occuring.

I've been unable to get the thing to fail though over 100 DVD's so not quite sure whats going on yet.
Deckard

Post by Deckard »

XP
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

check your private messages would ya.
stebie

Post by stebie »

To determine if your issue is with cygwin1.dll, perform the following steps:

* open up a command prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt)
* execute "hbcli.exe -h" i.e. type "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\hbcli.exe" -h (including quotes), if you installed Handbrake into the default suggested folder

If Handbrake returns command line options, the issue will not be related to an older/duplicate cygwin1.dll file.
hardball2007

Post by hardball2007 »

stebie wrote:To determine if your issue is with cygwin1.dll, perform the following steps:

* open up a command prompt (Start - Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt)
* execute "hbcli.exe -h" i.e. type "C:\Program Files\Handbrake\hbcli.exe" -h (including quotes), if you installed Handbrake into the default suggested folder

If Handbrake returns command line options, the issue will not be related to an older/duplicate cygwin1.dll file.
I've been having this same issue. HB just doesn't seem to work on my PC and everytime I get the above mentioned error.

I did run hbcli.exe -h and got command line options. So, what could be wrong?

BTW, most DVDs seem to rip fine in my Mac when I try.
pfurrie

Post by pfurrie »

I've just got the same message, though there's something additional to report:

Despite getting that error message, when I select a destination and setting and tell it to encode anyhow, it seems to do it (I have it running on another machine right now). That error would have normally led me to believe it wasn't going to be doing anything as it thought there wasn't anything to do it to, but still... it is processing frames, and the ETA seems consistent with what I'd expect (given the length of the movie, the transcode settings, and the power of the computer).

Pat
pfurrie

Post by pfurrie »

Update: After coming back to the computer when HandBrake was finished, I found a completed and, by all accounts, perfect MP4 transcode of the file which HandBrake had originally claimed it couldn't find a title.

Operator error filter is now engaged.

Pat
loub555

Post by loub555 »

Doing a search for the cygwin file does not work so great in Vista. The search finds no match for my inquiry yet I can find the cygwin file in the handbrake folder. Is there another way to find the second cygwin1.dll file?