Constant Quality for Blu ray

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Big Roo

Constant Quality for Blu ray

Post by Big Roo »

Hi Guys,

I used the constant quality video setting of 20 for a 20GB mkv file created off a blu ray disc. It created a file that was 2.7GB in size. I didnt change any other default settings.
why would i get a file size this small?

Thanks
guachi

Re: Constant Quality for Blu ray

Post by guachi »

My guess is because the original is good quality with little artifacts or noise in it. It's also possible that particular movie had a lot of easily compressible scenes in it.

I have been encoding TV shows. HD shows run about 4.0-5.5 GB for a 43 minute episode (commercials removed) recorded to wtv format. I've had the resulting HandBrake encode come out between 1.1-2.9 GB. I guess if I watched the episode, it might be obvious why. Perhaps the larger file sizes are because of lots of action or outdoor scenes with lots on the screen.

Standard definition shows are similar. Star Trek episodes recorded off of TV are really small. 190 MB for the smallest episode and the largest is 265 MB. However, old TV shows are much larger. I have an episode of The Incredible Hulk that clocks in at 830 MB.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

As he said -- the size of the output file really depends on how much Handbrake has to compress.

An action film compresses less easily than one with static scenes, an animated film compresses better than live action, and a film with grain (think: older films or films like "Black Hawk Down") compress very little. Combine one or more of these factors and you can end up with a very large file (the aforementioned blu-ray of "Black Hawk Down" compressed for me to 17GB) or a very small one (my encode of the "Summer Wars" blu-ray was 3GB -- both originals were over 20GB to start with).

You shouldn't be worried about file size -- what should concern you is quality. Does the file look good? That's all you need concern yourself with (if it helps, the MPEG compression isn't nearly as efficient as H.264, which is why the file can look much better compressed a whole lot smaller).
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

thanks for the info guys,
i hadnt used constant quality with my previous 5 or 6 encodes. Instead i chose target size of 15GB or thereabouts.

I was just surprised that it came out so small. I havent looked at it on the big TV but looked ok on the computer monitor.

Is 20 the best setting for Blu Ray as i remember reading that DVD setting is X and Blu Ray is higher or lower. I cant remember if 20 was for bluray or dvd
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

The default for DVD sources is RF 20. For BD sources you can drop that to 22-23, where a higher RF equals a lower quality.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

As Ted says, a lot of folks believe you can go higher (lower quality) for blu-ray sources. The file size will then be even smaller (10-20% smaller).

You should do some A/B tests with various encodes to determine what you like. For many months I was using 22 for my blu-ray sources and then I tried 20 and immediately saw a difference, particularly in animated sources. From that time on I've standardized on 20 (but I have a 55" HDTV so YMMV -- with smaller sets you may not notice any quality loss even with higher RFs).