Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Post Reply
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

Having problems with several D!sney movies, T@ngled & T0yst0ry3 trying to back up / encode purchased Blueray movies. When I choose the largest file it is only showing about 22 minutes of a 100 minute movie. Is the file structure different on these movies? How do I get it to read the file structure of the whole movie and encode into a single mp4 file for playback?

Using the latest version of Handbrake

Also is it feasible quality wise to encode to 4.7 GB file size quality wise at 1080 or should I only do it to 720? What settings are best for this on Blueray movies?

Thank You!

-M
User avatar
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team
Posts: 5583
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Since you didn't provide an activity log like the big red box at the top of the page tell you, I'm going to have to assume a lot.
Using the latest version of Handbrake
I'll assume 0.9.5 release instead of the nightly builds since that's what most noobs mean when they say "latest version".

And I'll assume that you are opening the largest m2ts file in the BDMV/STREAM directory of your BD. That will not work for many discs because the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files. Instead, open the base directory of your BD (the one above BDMV). HandBrake will find the titles and splice the necessary files together for you.
Also is it feasible quality wise to encode to 4.7 GB file size quality wise at 1080 or should I only do it to 720? What settings are best for this on Blueray movies?
You'll have to lower the quality slider a couple notches, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with an RF of 22 or 23 I would think. For BD, I would start with the "High Profile" preset, disable detelecine and decomb and adjust the quality slider as desired.
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

JohnAStebbins wrote:Since you didn't provide an activity log like the big red box at the top of the page tell you, I'm going to have to assume a lot.
Using the latest version of Handbrake
I'll assume 0.9.5 release instead of the nightly builds since that's what most noobs mean when they say "latest version".
Sorry no activity log because no activity, nothing to start because I can tell it is not getting the whole thing by the amount of time it is indicating.

Correct, this noob means the latest stable release and not beta. Thanks for clarifying I did not have time to look up the release.
And I'll assume that you are opening the largest m2ts file in the BDMV/STREAM directory of your BD. That will not work for many discs because the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files. Instead, open the base directory of your BD (the one above BDMV). HandBrake will find the titles and splice the necessary files together for you.
You are correct in your assumptions. Ok so you use the option for source>directory and put it on the root of the bluyray? So I should do this for every BD vs looking for the largest m2ts file under stream?
Also is it feasible quality wise to encode to 4.7 GB file size quality wise at 1080 or should I only do it to 720? What settings are best for this on Blueray movies?
You'll have to lower the quality slider a couple notches, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with an RF of 22 or 23 I would think. For BD, I would start with the "High Profile" preset, disable detelecine and decomb and adjust the quality slider as desired.
So choosing to encode it to a specific file size is a bad idea?

Is FFmpeg or x264 more compatible MP4 if I decide to play the file on a media player or other device and how much different is the quality, is multiple passes ideal?

Your the best, thanks so much for the response, great info and good assumptions! :-)
User avatar
Rodeo
HandBrake Team
Posts: 12569
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by Rodeo »

microking4u wrote:
JohnAStebbins wrote:Since you didn't provide an activity log like the big red box at the top of the page tell you, I'm going to have to assume a lot.
Using the latest version of Handbrake
I'll assume 0.9.5 release instead of the nightly builds since that's what most noobs mean when they say "latest version".
Sorry no activity log because no activity, nothing to start because I can tell it is not getting the whole thing by the amount of time it is indicating.
So scanning a source == no activity? I don't think so.
microking4u wrote:
And I'll assume that you are opening the largest m2ts file in the BDMV/STREAM directory of your BD. That will not work for many discs because the movie is spread across multiple m2ts files. Instead, open the base directory of your BD (the one above BDMV). HandBrake will find the titles and splice the necessary files together for you.
You are correct in your assumptions. Ok so you use the option for source>directory and put it on the root of the bluyray? So I should do this for every BD vs looking for the largest m2ts file under stream?
Yes. That way you'll get chapters and audio track languages as well.
microking4u wrote:
Also is it feasible quality wise to encode to 4.7 GB file size quality wise at 1080 or should I only do it to 720? What settings are best for this on Blueray movies?
You'll have to lower the quality slider a couple notches, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with an RF of 22 or 23 I would think. For BD, I would start with the "High Profile" preset, disable detelecine and decomb and adjust the quality slider as desired.
So choosing to encode it to a specific file size is a bad idea?
Yes. Some sources will look good at a certain size/bitrate, others won't. Otherwise they're be no point to CQP/CRF (Constant Quality).
microking4u wrote:Is FFmpeg or x264 more compatible MP4 if I decide to play the file on a media player or other device and how much different is the quality, is multiple passes ideal?
Constant Quality only requires one pass.

FFmpeg MPEG-4 is very fast, but its compression efficiency is very poor. For the same quality as x264, you'll need to create much larger files.

Any media player that handles 1080p will handle H.264.
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

Thanks for the quick responses! Your advice is way better than anything I could find on the subject of blueray encoding using handbrake searching google. Actually the guides out there are horrible!
I did one with your guys advice and everything went great at target file size of 4680, playback looked almost as good as the normal Blueray. The only problem it came up with another language title of the movie even though the language was still english. I changed the language in the options, hopefully that fixes it next time! But otherwise looks great! :D
mkelley
Bright Spark User
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 am

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by mkelley »

If it shows another language you need to select a different title -- the one that comes up by default is the longest one, which isn't always correct (actually, if there is more than one that is slighter shorter the slighter shorter one is nearly always the correct one, since foreign language versions tend to have added credits for the language dubs).
thompson
Bright Spark User
Posts: 356
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by thompson »

microking4u wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! Your advice is way better than anything I could find on the subject of blueray encoding using handbrake searching google. Actually the guides out there are horrible!
I did one with your guys advice and everything went great at target file size of 4680, playback looked almost as good as the normal Blueray. The only problem it came up with another language title of the movie even though the language was still english. I changed the language in the options, hopefully that fixes it next time! But otherwise looks great! :D
Yet you completely ignored the part where he said target file size is [Censored], and you shouldn't use it. In fact, it's so terrible that it's been removed in the nightly builds (leading up to 0.9.6 release) of handbrake.
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

thompson wrote:
microking4u wrote:Thanks for the quick responses! Your advice is way better than anything I could find on the subject of blueray encoding using handbrake searching google. Actually the guides out there are horrible!
I did one with your guys advice and everything went great at target file size of 4680, playback looked almost as good as the normal Blueray. The only problem it came up with another language title of the movie even though the language was still english. I changed the language in the options, hopefully that fixes it next time! But otherwise looks great! :D
Yet you completely ignored the part where he said target file size is [Censored], and you shouldn't use it. In fact, it's so terrible that it's been removed in the nightly builds (leading up to 0.9.6 release) of handbrake.
I did not ignore it, I did take that into consideration, but the amount of time it takes to encode I do not want to guess on getting a size I can fit on a standard DVD-R which is 4.7GB. I am not sure why you say it is horrible? I just watched both movies at the file size and they look great! So I am not sure why they are taking it out? I think that would be a bad idea as the quality looks good! I did do a Turbo / 2 pass on it and it did take about 4-5 hours with a Quad Core2 9550 cpu, but the quality is great! I hope they change the decision on that!
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

mkelley wrote:If it shows another language you need to select a different title -- the one that comes up by default is the longest one, which isn't always correct (actually, if there is more than one that is slighter shorter the slighter shorter one is nearly always the correct one, since foreign language versions tend to have added credits for the language dubs).
Appreciate the advice, I think the options setting audio / subtitles was on "Any", I changed it to "English". I hope that fixed it. I don't remember a title showing another language, but I might have missed it. The title I was referring to was in the movie it self, they cut to a scene which tells you the name of the movie and it was in I think French. But the audio was still English, so that was weird? Sorry I was not clear on that! But thanks again.
mkelley
Bright Spark User
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 am

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by mkelley »

No, switching the language in Handbrake won't fix that -- it was what I said, that you needed to select another title (because that other title will have different files in it that show the stuff in the movie that is normally in English).

Disney is usually the only people that do this, however (there *may* be other animated films that do this, but in general it's only Disney that takes the time to create other scenes in other languages so that it looks "authentic" to that country).
microking4u
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by microking4u »

mkelley wrote:No, switching the language in Handbrake won't fix that -- it was what I said, that you needed to select another title (because that other title will have different files in it that show the stuff in the movie that is normally in English).

Disney is usually the only people that do this, however (there *may* be other animated films that do this, but in general it's only Disney that takes the time to create other scenes in other languages so that it looks "authentic" to that country).
Got it! I did see that there is another title and did what you recommended by finding the slightly reduced amount of time one and wallah it is English now! Very cool, I really appreciate the advice!

Now off to find a good all round Media player for my 3 rooms so we can watch these encodes!
mkelley
Bright Spark User
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:00 am

Re: Blueray - Largest File not getting whole movie?

Post by mkelley »

I cannot recommend the WD HD Live players enough (however, you should be then encoding to MKV files. Pass through the AC3 and/or DTS tracks and you'll have a great experience, as good as blu ray IMHO. But since you can't pass through DTS in MP4 an MKV container is really the only way to go).
Post Reply