I'm done with HandBrake

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
dae06

I'm done with HandBrake

Post by dae06 »

Unless someone can help me out here.

So far nothing but problems:

1. I am not able to download HandBrake on my PC at home. Here's the thread on that, viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20616&sid=97687e03 ... bbcd744086
so far no help there.

2. I have been able to download it to my work computer, work laptop and and home laptop, and used each of these to download movies from DVD's. All three ended up with terribly pixelized pictures and audio skipping so bad it was unrecognizable.

3. I was expecting this to take ~2 hours to complete, but in reality, it took more like 4-5 hours each. This has been a huge waste of time for me so far.

If someone can help I'll be willing to try again, but I have watched many tutorials on Youtube and I believe I am doing the exact same as them.

Let me know if anyone can help. Thanks
rogue23
Enlightened

Re: I'm done with HandBrake

Post by rogue23 »

Impatient much?
dae06 wrote:1. I am not able to download HandBrake on my PC at home. Here's the thread on that, viewtopic.ph ... bbcd744086
so far no help there.
Sounds like a problem with your PC, if it works everywhere else.
dae06 wrote:All three ended up with terribly pixelized pictures and audio skipping so bad it was unrecognizable.
Post encoding logs so that people can help you identify the problem.
dae06 wrote:3. I was expecting this to take ~2 hours to complete, but in reality, it took more like 4-5 hours each. This has been a huge waste of time for me so far.

Obviously, your expectations weren't set correctly.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

2. You'll find some information about this on the first paragraph of the Windows GUI section of the user guide.

3. If you want it to go faster, get a better computer or lower some of the advanced settings.
Deleted User 13735

Post by Deleted User 13735 »

Handbrake itself has none of these problems.
There is something in your personal paradigm that is causing these unusual results.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

And just to reiterate some of the previous, you need to understand what you are doing here. You are re-encoding a video file -- one of the more CPU intensive tasks there is. Even the fastest computer there is will take a while to do this.

On my i7 computer I can encode a DVD at the High Profile settings (about the best there is) in about 50% of Real Time -- which is to say I can do a two hour movie in an hour or so (it will vary depending on the source, as the cleaner sources and/or those with less changes in image compress faster). A blu-ray (so, HD) will take about 200% of Real Time (so a two hour movie in four hours) although this can vary wildly depending again on the source (it took 12 hours to encode "The African Queen", for example).

But even a slower computer will get there eventually, and your computer isn't doing anything while you're at work or sleeping, right? Handbrake allows you to queue up movies and you can do five or six in a day on even the very slowest machine. So speed shouldn't be an issue for you but if it is there really isn't anything out there faster anyway.
costa

Post by costa »

maybe this will help you to understand handbrake better
http://viconco.blogspot.com/
dae06

Post by dae06 »

Maybe I didn't understand what handbrake does and does not do. I was under the impression that I could take a DVD (movie I bought at a store) and put that movie on my iphone by using Handbrake. But am I hearing I can not do this because the movies are encrypted?

If someone could very briefly tell me what Handbrake is used for, that would be great. My main purpose is to get DVD movies from my collection to my iphone so I can watch them. Can handbrake do this on its own or do I need to use other software?

Thanks
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

dae06 wrote:Maybe I didn't understand what handbrake does and does not do. I was under the impression that I could take a DVD (movie I bought at a store) and put that movie on my iphone by using Handbrake.
Yes, among other things.
dae06 wrote:But am I hearing I can not do this because the movies are encrypted?
Correct; commercial DVDs are encrypted. You will need to decrypt and/or rip them before feeding them to HandBrake (using e.g. AnyDVD or MakeMKV). You can then use handBrake to convert them to a format compatible with your iPhone.
Fuller5

Post by Fuller5 »

You could always try installing VLC media player to remove encryption
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Fuller5 wrote:You could always try installing VLC media player to remove encryption
Which only works under OS X.