Issue with re encoding Blu ray

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Big Roo

Re: Issue with re encoding Blu ray

Post by Big Roo »

can anyone tell me is using a dedicated GPU will help with encoding times as my system has integrated graphics on the motherboard. Thanks
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. Won't help. HandBrake doesn't utilize the gpu
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

thanks s55. i should have used the search function before i tried here.
i have seen video encoding programs that used the nvidia GPU's with CUDA. Ive seen comparisons done against other software and the time differences are incredible.
i wonder if its possible for HB to get that soft of capability so it turns several hours into much less. This program i looked at converts video at over 400fps !! I havent looked right into it as it only supports output Video Formats in H.264 (MP4) Baseline Profile, H.264 (MP4) Main Profile and audio output formats of AAC-LC (2 channel) so not good in that respect but still impressive in what it does and how fast it does it
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

It may be fast, but it comes at the expense of quality. You could achieve the same kind of results with HandBrake using the Ultrafast x264 options or even the ffmpeg mpeg4 encoder (which I've peaked out at close to 700fps)
Many feautres of h264 encoders can't really benefit from the GPU since by their nature, they are not highly parallel actions, so trying to put them on the GPU, would simply make them a lot slower. This is why the feature set of CUDA encoders is much much smaller, hence why they can't achieve what x264 can.
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

thanks again s55

i was just looking at this "Tutorial: x264 presets/tunes and HandBrake"

i was a more than a little lost with this but am i to assume that if i copied any of those codes into the text box at the bottom of the Advanced Tab section that this will speed up the encoding process?
so for example if i chose Very Fast and copied this code "ref=1:mixed-refs=0:weightp=1:subq=2:rc-lookahead=10:trellis=0" into that box as long as the video codec was h.264 and leaving all other settings at default, it would encode much faster than it does currently at standard settings?
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

@Big Roo

Yes, what you put into the tex box under the andvanced tab will be used for x264 settings
If you went and started changeing the settings you could click on on the advanced tab
you will notice that the text box will reflect those changes
in that if a setting is changed to anything other than default, it will show in the text box
with the setting chosen

fore ex the high profile, has only two settings that deviate from x264 defaults
b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50

so in the end what ever you put in there will be used,
and anything not put in there will use values that are default for that setting
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

hi and thanks phibertron.

how much faster will say "faster" and "very fast" be in comparison to the default settings for high profile for example? Also how much quality is lost with these settings rather than default?

how do i copy that code over - i cant copy and paste so i assume i have to type it in manually?

Thanks
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

Encoding speed is relative to your cpu

The lower the setting the less there is to process
The higher the setting the more there is to process

The lower the setting the lower the perception of quality in the output
The higher the setting the higher the perception of quality in the ouput

Quality can/is a perception to the end user
One mans view of something,is not anothers

Its all relative

I say all of this, so that you understand, that faster is not always better, unless you get a faster cpu
What you should be striving for, is a level of quality that you deem to be acceptable
Without taking speed into consideration
If speed is a consideration, then you are deviating from you level of percieved quality
by having to lower settings that achieve that goal

But yes, you could just copy and paste the settings into the text box
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

Just re-read the whole thread, and noticed your using a 3GHZ quad core cpu
Which is no slouch
I currently use an i7 860 or an i7 920, depending on which pc I encode on
And a 2 hour blureray will take about 4+ hours to encode on Normal or High, give or take of course
For me, that is [Censored] awesome

a 2 hour dvd will take about 30 to 45 minutes, on normal or high,
yet again, wicked awesome

Would I like it to be faster, sure, who wouldnt

Here comes that perception thing again,
back in the day, If someone told me I could have these speeds,
I would have thought they borrowed some technology from aliens :D
as it used to take two days to do one movie
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

phibertron wrote:If someone told me I could have these speeds,
I would have thought they borrowed some technology from aliens :D
as it used to take two days to do one movie
lol, yeah maybe im being impatient. Its just that i have a large collection of movies on disc and trying to move all the across to the media player HDD is a task and a half.

I thought if i could save some (any) time it would help. So if i chose "faster" as the setting how much diff would there be in encoding time? are we talking about a few fps diff or double or what?
I see using your i7 gets about the same results as mine when i overclock to 3.5GHZ. Yours has hyper threading too doesnt it? so you have 8 threads working?

I was thinking of getting a hexacore and turning it up to 4GHZ to try and speed things up a little.

Also, i cant copy and paste that code as nothing happens when i right click in the box - i dont get any options. how do you do it other than re typing it?

thanks
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

I hear ya man, we all want it now :D
I know that I want to re-do some stuff I have
and I too am prepping for a 24 hour x 30 day run of encoding
a really really big batch encode
the electric bill is gonna be big hahaha

Ya know the biggest difference I see with more cores is with blue ray enocdes
DVD encodes dont really use more cores
of course this is all setting dependent

The cpu speed increase wouldnt hurt that's for sure

DOH!
use CTRL + V keys to paste into the text box
forgot paste doesnt work from right click
CTRL + X is cut
CTRL + C is copy
CTRL + V is paste

P.S.
Here is the other side of encodeing, that storage and back up maintenance tasks
I just got done backing up 3Tb of data, took about 20+ hours
a really long file copy LOL
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

phibertron wrote:Here is the other side of encodeing, that storage and back up maintenance tasks
I just got done backing up 3Tb of data, took about 20+ hours
a really long file copy LOL

LOL, thats pretty quick for 3TB. i had to copy 1TB of video files using 2 x usb2 external HDD and it took about 15 hours !!! MY GOD !!! Glad i didnt have to do 3!!!

thanks for the cut and paste info ;P

I want to try the different settings on a small avi file and see what happens.
So when i open handbrake the Normal preset is showing. But if want to change the code to say "faster" do i need to do anything other than just cutting the existing code out and pasting the new "faster" code in? Or will adding that code change the necessary settings and leave all others at the default Normal Preset?

Cheers
phibertron
Bright Spark User

Post by phibertron »

Just pasting it in will do the trick

If you want to verify that it is
You could go to the settings and turn on the query editor
which will give you a new tab
so once you paste in the settings to the adv tab
you go to the query tab and click generate
which will show you want hb is going to pass to the cli
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

i just tried on very fast and ultra fast. i used source file as a 20min simpsons episode in avi format at 176MB in size.

very fast took 58 seconds, ultrafast took 40 sec and standard setting took 1m48s. very fast reduced file to 110mb but ultra fast increased to 297MB.

why would it get smaller with very fast and larger with ultra? does it try to improve the video quality due to encoding alot faster or something?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Options may push the quality up or down at a given RF. So the same movie encoded at, say, RF 20, will not have the exact same quality depending on wether it was encoded with the HandBrake preset defaults, x264 --preset veryfast or x264 --preset ultrafast.

So you should pick options that match your target encoding speed first, and only then pick an RF that gives you the desired quality.

Also, ultrafast is crap. x264's fastest usable preset is superfast.
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

Rodeo wrote:So you should pick options that match your target encoding speed first, and only then pick an RF that gives you the desired quality.

Also, ultrafast is crap. x264's fastest usable preset is superfast.
hi rodeo

if i choose say "very fast" can i just leave the RF setting at 20 for a blu ray mkv file and leave everything else as Normal under presets?

i dont want to waste a couple of hours re encoding if its going to come out looking crap due to using faster encoding speed. Im trying to find a good balance of speed and quality. default settings have worked out fine for me but just dont want to wait 4 hours or so if it will only make a slight difference to video and audio quality using faster speed
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

ok, i just finished on a 104min blu ray mkv file. Source was 22.6GB after using Make MKV. I set Target size to 15000MB (came out at 14.2GB), DTS Passthru for audio and used the code for Very Fast. Everything else was the same under Normal Preset.
It took exactly 1 hour and 20 mins to complete so that isnt too bad right? Approx half the time it would have taken if i used default code in advanced settings
Im going to put it onto the media player and check it on the TV but it looks pretty good on the computer monitor.
Big Roo

Post by Big Roo »

put the movie, mentioned above, onto the media player and it looks fine. definitely sticking with this method rather than taking twice as long for little to no visible diff