Reference Frames for iPod Video 5G

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
mkr10001

Reference Frames for iPod Video 5G

Post by mkr10001 »

I'm trying to convert some DVD's for my ipod and I want to know what reference frames to use. I read they can make the file smaller with the same quality which is what I'm after. I found something on another thread where you divide by width and height, I got 8 but it said it was going to take 1 hour 40 mins to finish which is quite a long time for a test run.

So does anyone know what reference frames (or indeed any other settings ) I can use for it.

I usually do 640x default aspect ratio height, I put CQ to about 16.5 as I might want to watch on my computer aswell.
LonestarOrison

Re: Reference Frames for iPod Video 5G

Post by LonestarOrison »

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3859

In the above post are the max settings for most Apple devices.

So what you're looking to use is two reference frames, no more. Also 16.5 CQ is too low for any perceivable quality enhancement. Use 18 at the least, and also add to your settings:

Code: Select all

:vbv-maxrate=2500:vbv-bufsize=200
It will keep compatibility with your iPod while also allowing the encoder to use the required bits for even the most complex parts of film.
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

thanks for that i will give it a go.

is the higher the CQ the smaller/lower quality?

i did have a go with 3 frames but im not impressed with the quality at all.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

A bufsize of 200? Are you sure it's not a typo?
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

I thought it might have been a typo. I gave that a go and it came out at 464 mb which is quite big. It's a 44minute programme.

I might give maxrate 2000 a go instead see if that gets it down. Smaller than 350mb would be ideal as that's what tv programme downloads usually are (or so i've been told) and i think that quality is more than enough.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

size != quality

Different sources require different bitrates/filesizes to achieve the same quality.
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

Rodeo wrote:size != quality

Different sources require different bitrates/filesizes to achieve the same quality.
of course :)

i have had some 40min programmes from a dvd done at less than 300mb before and they looked ok. It's the sopranos so the first few seasons aren't brilliant picture quality to start with anyway, looks great on my ipod but on my laptop looks a bit blocky.

There's one episode that keeps going out of sync everytime so I reckon it's a problem with the rip rather than the settings or my computer. i might rip it again when i get hold of it again.
Adz76

Post by Adz76 »

Hi mkr10001,
I'm a forum noob ( go easy ) and I've not had your specific problem mentioned at the top of the post but I have had the same problem with S1 of Sopranos. So far I've hit a brick wall. The only solution I've found is using something to re sync the audio , post encode. I think there'e a problem with the disc mastering perhaps (if so re-ripping will be useless) which is a real disappointment as I have found more than one episode and although I'm no pro, I can't for the life of me find a solution where handbrake corrects this.The only other thing I've noticed is that the titles in handbrake appear to have a different duration to handbrakes duration estimate.If anyone knows the answer I'd be eternally in their debt.
Thanks
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

Adz76 wrote:Hi mkr10001,
I'm a forum noob ( go easy ) and I've not had your specific problem mentioned at the top of the post but I have had the same problem with S1 of Sopranos. So far I've hit a brick wall. The only solution I've found is using something to re sync the audio , post encode. I think there'e a problem with the disc mastering perhaps (if so re-ripping will be useless) which is a real disappointment as I have found more than one episode and although I'm no pro, I can't for the life of me find a solution where handbrake corrects this.The only other thing I've noticed is that the titles in handbrake appear to have a different duration to handbrakes duration estimate.If anyone knows the answer I'd be eternally in their debt.
Thanks
Ah yes I did notice that. How many of yours go out of sync? All others have been fine (I can't remember if any others have been out of sync at some point but so far it's only s01e03 that is doing it)
Adz76

Post by Adz76 »

So far I found that it was episodes 2 & 3 of S1 D1. Episode 1 was ok, although I will re encode all of them tomorrow. I use a Mac with MTR to rip, then I use a PC to handbrake them. My knowledge of US Tv series is my major weak point and I've been trying to read up and see if I've missed something glaringly obvious . On mine the audio is always in front of the video by someway, 1-2 seconds. The only thing I think it could be other than a mastering issue is perhaps the rippers haven't done their job perhaps? Which episodes have you found?
Thanks
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

just episode 3 so far of season 1
Adz76

Post by Adz76 »

Ok, strange that we both have the same issue with the same episode although I cant get ep2 in sync at all. I have re-encoded yesterday and I still get the same result, bad sync. As a last ditch effort I visited a friend and set up the same encode on a Mac and voila! They work fine! I really hope its just the one disc as I haven't attempted any others yet. ( 27 left I think ) . I'm going to cast a guess that i think its the difference in duration that I've noticed, ie when you load the disc / ts in HB and select the title to encode it says in the drop box the tile number and duration. Look on the right of HB and there is a second duration estimate which is always a second or two longer/shorter. Have you noticed any other repeated problems with any others in the series?
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

nope only done a few discs so far. trying to get the quality:size perfected before i do all
LonestarOrison

Post by LonestarOrison »

My bad. Yes, bufsize=2000.
mkr10001

Post by mkr10001 »

Adz76 wrote:Ok, strange that we both have the same issue with the same episode although I cant get ep2 in sync at all. I have re-encoded yesterday and I still get the same result, bad sync. As a last ditch effort I visited a friend and set up the same encode on a Mac and voila! They work fine! I really hope its just the one disc as I haven't attempted any others yet. ( 27 left I think ) . I'm going to cast a guess that i think its the difference in duration that I've noticed, ie when you load the disc / ts in HB and select the title to encode it says in the drop box the tile number and duration. Look on the right of HB and there is a second duration estimate which is always a second or two longer/shorter. Have you noticed any other repeated problems with any others in the series?

season 1 episode 3 is doing it too. it's putting a downer on my plans to delete the dvd rips after i've converted and i can't because there's still one.

i asked over on another forum and they suggested using something called yamb to demux the video and the audio then remux them and add a delay. tried that but it gets rid of the chapter markers and the delay seems to creep. starts off ok then near the end messes up again. :(
Adz76

Post by Adz76 »

Thats what I read somewhere else too, I'm guessing that the re syncing audio route might work although I'm not keen, does the application re encode? Or just address the audio issue? Either way I haven't given up on finding a Handbrake solution, although I found another guy who did have the same issue with the same source and his only solution was what you suggested. One thing to note is this IS a PC issue. I have successfully done the episodes that I cant do on my PC setup on a friends Mac. I'm still sure it's the audio estimates that HB shows with a minor difference. I have also found that episode 5 is out. ( S1 D2 Ep 2 ) I have a bad feeling this trend may continue with every disc which is going to be a right git to say the least.
Let me know if you get a work around, the only one I have is dont use PC. :(
Adz76

Post by Adz76 »

On another tangient, I have installed and successfully run HB on a version of Linux and it seems to work quite well. The audio sync issues are fixed. Whilst this isn't exactly a work around from using the PC version I thought you may want to give it a go. My only other idea is to try a different decrypter to rip the discs and see if that cures it. Which one are you using btw? I'm certainly no expert but if its not the decrypter then the issue lies within HB.