Disappointed to see target file size go

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
match
Enlightened

Re: Disappointed to see target file size go

Post by match »

TedJ wrote:this thread is easily as bad as some of the xvid/avi [Censored] I've tended to.
Once again, another poor comparison/analogy. While there is no use for xvid/avi, there are certainly applications for target size (as previously mentioned). And the "cursing" certainly doesn't add to your statement's credibility.
TedJ wrote:Wow, I honestly didn't expect this level of dispute over dropping TFS...
Come on, you had to know a large percentage of users were using this feature and would fight to keep it. I only wish this was a retail product, so there would be motivation to keep the customers. But alas, it seems hopeless, and so I have resigned myself to the fact that the hope is over....hallelujah, right? I'm sure we will see an emergence of this thread, or threads like this once the next stable release comes out.

Now if I could just figure out how to use the average bitrate, which I hear is pretty much the same thing, but a pain in the neck to figure out. I've already tried 3 different online calculators. The closest I've come is within 10mb...still 5 times the 2mb margin of error I saw with Handbrake. As this dead petition of a thread is pretty much useless at this point, I'll be posting another thread seeking help with this. At least variable bitrate is still there, and thus assumed a supported feature.
nexradix

Post by nexradix »

I won't add to the turmoil by arguing, but will add my name to the list of users sad to see this feature go. I've never once had an issue with it performing poorly in the hundereds of encodes I've done with Handbrake.

That said, as long as average bitrate remains, I will keep using Handbrake, and will find a way to make that setting work for me instead. A shame I'll eventually have to spend hours retesting in order to create a new preset formula that works for me, but it is what it is, I suppose.
JackNF
Enlightened

Post by JackNF »

Never really used target-filesize all that often, but I always liked having it there just in case I ever did need it for something. I can get by knowing I've still got the ABR settings to play with, but for anyone aiming for specific file sizes more often than once in a blue moon I can certainly sympathize with the frustration.

That said, for anyone desperate to hang on to this feature and using Windows then taking a look at Vidcoder might be in order. It's basically an alternate GUI front-end for Handbrake. It's been around a while, grabs the latest core HB code for a release somewhat more often than HB stable releases although of course far less frequently than the nightlies.

That's the nice thing about open-source software, if there's something you don't like about it and if you've got the programming chops to do so you CAN just go and roll your own... while the rest of us take what we can get.

The latest Vidcoder update from ~2 weeks about still had the target-filesize option, although I'm guessing it might disappear in the next update. Given how simple the calculations are, if enough users fire off an email and ask nicely for that feature to stay then maybe the guy running that project (I think it's just one guy) might look into adding it to Vidcoder's own codebase even though it's been stripped out from HB's core libraries.
Kash

Post by Kash »

Just signup to drop in a comment, I can't say I won't be sorely disappointed to see it being drop due to few users. Those of use who use it without issues have to suffer because of them? I only use Handbrake for couple of months and I can safely say I liked because it is simple to use without any steep learning curve. I guess I will need to reevaluate the pros and cons of using another encoder since I only primary use this feature. Also I hate maths and very poor at it not to mention lazy most of the time :P which is part of reason I rely so much on target file size LOL.
joethezombie
Experienced

Post by joethezombie »

Just another user wanting the target-filesize option to stay. I only use(ed) it when targeting flashcards, but it was quick, easy, and worked.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

match wrote:
TedJ wrote:this thread is easily as bad as some of the xvid/avi [Censored] I've tended to.
Once again, another poor comparison/analogy. While there is no use for xvid/avi, there are certainly applications for target size (as previously mentioned). And the "cursing" certainly doesn't add to your statement's credibility.
You're now indulging in the same personal bias the developers are being accused of. Based on the number of complaints we received when xvid/avi were dropped, there were plenty of people who were using these codec/containers, badly implemented as they were. Even now, we regularly receive requests to re-implement them. As a longstanding member of the Handbrake community, I don't think my statement's credibility is an issue.
match wrote:
TedJ wrote:Wow, I honestly didn't expect this level of dispute over dropping TFS...
Come on, you had to know a large percentage of users were using this feature and would fight to keep it. I only wish this was a retail product, so there would be motivation to keep the customers. But alas, it seems hopeless, and so I have resigned myself to the fact that the hope is over....hallelujah, right? I'm sure we will see an emergence of this thread, or threads like this once the next stable release comes out.
No, we did not have to know... we can only base our experiences on what people post here. In this case, it was a small and very verbal minority holding Handbrake and the developers personally responsible for the slightest deviation in the requested filesize. Handbrake does not "phone home" to tell us what features people use.
match
Enlightened

Post by match »

TedJ wrote:You're now indulging in the same personal bias the developers are being accused of. Based on the number of complaints we received when xvid/avi were dropped, there were plenty of people who were using these codec/containers, badly implemented as they were. Even now, we regularly receive requests to re-implement them.
The statement that there were complaints doesn't mean there were useful reasons to use the codec/containers over x264/mkv/mp4. However, target size does have valid reasons as articulated in this thread. And if the reasons the users were worried about missing xvid stated some actual use and had an application that x264 didn't offer, then I would hope that it would have stayed. Dropping xvid/avi wasn't removing a feature (that is, video encoding), it was upgrading one. Removing target size is simply removing a feature that has bonafide uses. And variable bitrate is not an upgrade to that feature, it's a downgrade.
TedJ wrote:As a longstanding member of the Handbrake community, I don't think my statement's credibility is an issue.
I don't care about how longstanding a member you are, you at least lost credibility with me. Maybe that's just how you speak. But using "profanity" just seems like an emotional response. Anyway...perhaps I got off point with this, I wasn't here to argue your credibility, but to discuss the topic of this thread. So let's move on.
TedJ wrote:No, we did not have to know... we can only base our experiences on what people post here. In this case, it was a small and very verbal minority holding Handbrake and the developers personally responsible for the slightest deviation in the requested filesize.
Now you are contradicting yourself and the developers. The whole point was that it wasn't a small problem. "Too many users" were "abusing" and complaining about this feature. So many complaints by so many people, that it actually caused the removal of a key feature.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

match wrote:
TedJ wrote:In this case, it was a small and very verbal minority holding Handbrake and the developers personally responsible for the slightest deviation in the requested filesize.
Now you are contradicting yourself and the developers. The whole point was that it wasn't a small problem.
A small minority of our 8 million+ users is how many would you say? Weigh that number against the small team that provides support.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This thread really has gone on too long...

Locked.