v 0.9.5 - Error Reading NAV packet - Non commercial DVD

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Shadow2198

v 0.9.5 - Error Reading NAV packet - Non commercial DVD

Post by Shadow2198 »

Hey guys

I've read the forums and seen people having this message in relation to commercial DVD with copyright or encryption on them and so alternative tools are required.

I however have an issue with DVDs created myself of home movies. I had 5 which were created at the same time quite some time ago and not want to have them available on my computer. The first 2 worked fine usng HandBrake but it now seems to of stopped working and this error is appearing. The activity log is copied below; a number of different errors seem to appear but the Error Reading AV packet starts to appear quite a way down the list

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Apologies, the Activity Log was too long, hopefully I've done the Pastebin thing right, link is below:

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2034
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: v 0.9.5 - Error Reading NAV packet - Non commercial DVD

Post by thompson »

I'm assuming the DVD plays fine on a standalone player / in a DVD app?

If so, try disabling "libdvdnav" in the preferences window. You'll need to restart Handbrake for it to take effect. Does that allow the encode to succeed?
Shadow2198

Post by Shadow2198 »

thompson wrote:I'm assuming the DVD plays fine on a standalone player / in a DVD app?

If so, try disabling "libdvdnav" in the preferences window. You'll need to restart Handbrake for it to take effect. Does that allow the encode to succeed?
Previously I wsn't even able to start the encode (selected the DVD as the Source but was then unable to select the Title. Having disabled "libdvdnav" I am now able to get beyond that stage and begin the encode, however one of my DVDs only got to 1% while the other got to 45% complete then just hung and didn't move again (link to the log is below). The couple of errors that come up are: "libdvdread: CHECK_VALUE failed in nav_read.c:264" and "dvd: vobu read error blk"

The DVDs can freeze halfway through on my standalone DVD player but plays fine all the way through on my computer (Windows Media Player).

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2050
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Sounds like a damaged DVD and/or bad encoding. Someone with more expertise can weigh in, but I don't think it would be possible to get beyond that.