Large Blocking

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
Revenent

Re: Large Blocking

Post by Revenent »

nightstrm wrote:As of this post, it has not been checked into SVN yet... it won't appear in a nightly until the change has been checked in.

And no, I don't know when that will happen.
Will the change logs show when the new drop will go in?
handbrakeuser2011

Post by handbrakeuser2011 »

I don't know when they'll finally bump FFMPEG, but if changeset 3760 is anything to go by it may be relatively soon if they are making changes to allow Handbrake to potentially work with the latest FFMPEG.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

We're still waiting on another fix before updating to the latest FFmpeg.
handbrakeuser2011

Rodeo wrote:We're still waiting on another fix before updating to the latest FFmpeg.
What exactly is the fix still needed before FFMPEG is updated?
Deleted User 11865

It's another H.264 decoding fix, unrelated to this issue but it still makes sense to include it. An FFmpeg bump requires a certain amount of testing, so it's not something we do every week.

Also, this issue and your issue are unrelated.
handbrakeuser2011

Rodeo wrote:It's another H.264 decoding fix, unrelated to this issue but it still makes sense to include it. An FFmpeg bump requires a certain amount of testing, so it's not something we do every week.

Also, this issue and your issue are unrelated.
I am still awaiting this fix as I hope it may fix the problem.
Deleted User 11865

handbrakeuser2011 wrote:I am still awaiting this fix as I hope it may fix the problem.
It won't. One of the first things I did with your sample was to test it against the latest FFmpeg (with the fix for this thread's issue), and it made no difference.
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

So is the temp solution to disable b-pyramid on the Windows Version?

What ramifications does this have?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Probably a slight increase in filesize for a given quality level.

For those who are going to constantly ask if it's been checked in. Don't. ffmpeg will be bumped when a number of issues are fixed. The current head has more issues than the previous builds so I wouldn't expect this to be resolved for a few weeks.
Trac shows all changes. Monitor that.
Deleted User 11865

weaver4 wrote:So is the temp solution to disable b-pyramid on the Windows Version?

What ramifications does this have?
No. The only workaround for this particular issue is to use an older version of HandBrake.
DFXThomas

Post by DFXThomas »

Does anyone know where to get the latest macintosh build without this problem (svn3598) ?
I am hestitating to go back all the way to 0.9.4... but 0.9.5 and the newest nightly are affected :-( .

P.S. Nevermind ... found it in my downloads folder. Sometimes it's a good thing not to clean it up... :mrgreen:
Last edited by DFXThomas on Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 11865

Updated patch for the impatient ;-)

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2100
flapp3rs

Post by flapp3rs »

Rodeo wrote:Updated patch for the impatient ;-)

http://paste.handbrake.fr/pastebin.php?show=2100
Sounds pretty good! But for the not so technical educted ;)

What does that mean for me? Can i get a Windows binary that does not have that ffmpeg bug? Link?

If not: which old/nightly version with passthrough support for ac3 and dts can i use without this problem? Can someone provide a link to download?

Sorry, if this questions are silly, maybe it's just me ;)

Thanks in advance!
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

@flapp3rs - the patch has to be compiled into the source code. If your not comfortable compiling software, you'll have to wait for it to be checked in and then you'll be able to grab a nightly build
flapp3rs

Post by flapp3rs »

s55 wrote:@flapp3rs - the patch has to be compiled into the source code. If your not comfortable compiling software, you'll have to wait for it to be checked in and then you'll be able to grab a nightly build
Ok, i understood ;) Thanks for claryfing this!I'am not able to patch and comile this.

Can someone reply to the 2nd part? Which compiled win binary can i use and download with ac3 and dts (or only ac3) passthrough. Older nigtly build without that bug? Which version is capble? I read svn3555 in this thread. Where can i get that?

Thanks in advance!
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

We just bumped ffmpeg. So the next nightly build should fix this issue.
https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/3779
flapp3rs

Post by flapp3rs »

Awesome :D

Thank you very much!
Revenent

Post by Revenent »

Revenent wrote:
Rodeo wrote: It's an FFmpeg decoding bug. The issue shows up in HandBrake's static previews (though you couldn't see this in the WinGUI since it doesn't feature static previews), VLC 1.1.5 and MPlayer OSX Extended r14 (FFmpeg "r32568").

Edit: it seems that the cause of the bug is some assembly code introduced in FFmpeg svn-r25361 (does not occur when FFmpeg is compiled with --disable-asm). The issue is still present in the latest FFmpeg (svn-r26323).

The last version of HandBrake to work with your file is svn3598.
Sorry, silly newb here - are we talking about the playback software's decoder or the decoder in HB that decodes the source to something it can compress?

Edit: I have the same issue as well (http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19495).
I just tried the last nightly build - no more artifacts in the section that I had before. I am doing a full encode to see if it is gone from the other areas as well.
Revenent

Post by Revenent »

OK, did a full encoding. When I played it within Media Center, it had artifacts in the credits, but that was probably due to the fact that it was using FFMpeg, and it might still be affected.

When I play it with Media Player Classic - Home Cinema, no artifacts from those sections.

I think we're good to go on this one.
weaver4

Post by weaver4 »

I am still having some blocking with the latest build.

It appears to be less, but I see these artifiacts about every 10 minutes.

Same content encoded by HB on my mac has no problem.
Deleted User 11865

Start a new topic and provide the required information. This is not the same issue.