Handbrake is bursting my CPU

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
bigbang

Handbrake is bursting my CPU

Post by bigbang »

Hallo,
I am new with Handbrake and I am having a problem with the CPU usage of the programm. When I start ripping a dvd all 4 cpu's in my computer go up to 100% and I have to cancel. Is there something I can do about this?
By the way I am using windows 7 professionell 64 bit.
Thanks for helping
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: Handbrake is bursting my CPU

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Add 'threads=2' (or whatever value you like) in the advanced settings box.

By design, HandBrake uses as much cpu as it can get it grubby mitts on. If that makes your machine sluggish, take it up with your operating system vendor. A good scheduler won't do that.
bigbang

Post by bigbang »

Add 'threads=2' (or whatever value you like) in the advanced settings box.
What does that do? And how do I enter it? How do seperate it from the rest of the code? Sorry if my questions appear to be a little stupid
hunterk
Bright Spark User

Post by hunterk »

like JohnAStebbins said, HandBrake will grab as much of your cpu is available, though I believe it is supposed to run it at a lower priority than other processes, so it shouldn't be freezing your machine or anything.

Anyway, the advanced settings box appears at the bottom of the tab labeled 'Advanced.' If you just open the program without touching anything else (i.e., the Regular/Normal preset), it should say "ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0". If you add ":threads=[however many cores you want to use]" to the end of that string, it will confine the program to that number of cores instead of grabbing everything that's available. (the colon separates that option from the rest of the code; if you want to add more options, you would separate each one out with a colon).

Obviously, the fewer threads it uses, the longer it will take to finish the job.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Video encoding is one of the most taxing things you can perform on a modern PC. You may either allow handbrake to run at 100% and get faster encodes, or use the advice above to limit its CPU usage with the understanding that 50% CPU = 2x encode time.
magao

Post by magao »

In addition, in Tools | Options | CLI/System/Logging make sure that the CLI "Priority level" is either "Below Normal" or "Low". In theory this should allow you to do other things (web browsing, etc) on your computer whilst letting Handbrake use all your cores - Windows 7 should do this well. My Core i7 860 has all 8 threads pegged at 100% most of the time while encoding, but it doesn't interfere with "normal" usage.