Clearing Destination File Names

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
tbean

Clearing Destination File Names

Post by tbean »

When I click the 'Browse' button to the right of the 'File:' textbox in the 'Destination:' area, the 'Save As' window opens. And then, when I click down arrow of the 'File name:' combobox, I get a list of files I have encoded in times long past. I've tried searching my drives and registry for some of the old file names but can't find them.

Where is the list of files displayed in the combobox kept? How can I clear the list to get rid of the old files?

Thanks,
Tom
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Clearing Destination File Names

Post by s55 »

It's not HandBrake that's storing these. It's a built in feature of the windows file chooser dialog.

Might try running something like ccleaner. My guess is it'll have an option to clear our "recent items".
tbean

Post by tbean »

I'm running Vista and with it you can clear the "Recent Items" by right clicking on "Recent Items" in the Start menu and selecting "Clear Recent Items List". I cleared my "Recent Items" and the files still appear in the combobox.

I tried again to search all my drives using Visual Studio rather than Vista search and also the registry and still can't find the file names. The only thing I can think of is that the file names are encrypted before they are saved to disk.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

In CCleaner "Other Explorer MRUs" seems to clear it out:

After some quick digging on google, it appears these list are littered all over the registry, so I'm not exactly sure where it gets stored in this case.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

tbean

Post by tbean »

I ran CCleaner with only "Other Explorer MRUs" checked and it reported "0 bytes to be removed". However, when I clicked the "Run Cleaner" button, all the entries were removed from the list.

After you pointed me to MRU entries, I searched the registry and it looks like some of the MRU lists are stored in binary so Find in regedit can't find the strings. I guess storing a string as binary is as good as encryption if you can't search for it.

At any rate, thanks to you, my lists are now clear.

Thanks,
Tom