HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
svx2005

Post by svx2005 »

I'm trying to encode Avatar from Blu-ray to add it to my DLNA library so I can stream it to my TV. I've successfully encoded the video, but the subtitles for when the Na'vi language is being spoken is not there. I don't want the full set of subtitles to be on, but I want the Na'vi language that pops up on certain scenes to be there. I cant figure out how to get it in the movie. "Foreign Audio Search (bitmap)" is the only option I get on the subtitles tab, but if I try to include it, Handbrake just crashes on the first step during the encode. There are no vobsub or .srt files on the blu-ray disc.

What can I do?
eddyg
Veteran User

Re: Avatar Subtitles

Post by eddyg »

Google for the subtitle files, make sure that you specify that you only want the Navi spoken parts.

Then add during encoding using HB, or later using Subler (if on a Mac).

When using SRTs always test encode a chapter containing the subs in question to ensure that you have the timing right, adjust as necessary until correct.

Cheers, Ed.
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Re: Avatar Subtitles

Post by mkelley »

For Avatar blu-ray the subs are located in a PGS file. Use tsMuxer (freeware for Windows, which you have) to demux the PGS file and then BDSup2Sub (also freeware) to convert to an IDX file (choosing only the "forced" subs, which is the Smurf language). Then mux the Handbraked video with the IDX file using mkvmerge (one more freeware program) and you'll have it.

This presumes encoding to an MKV container (which you should be able to do for your DLNA).