How to make handbrake run faster on XP?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
jmichael99

How to make handbrake run faster on XP?

Post by jmichael99 »

Current setup

Dell XPS Gen4
3.2ghz p4
1gb ram
160gb/1tb drives

When converting a blue ray movie it is taking 14-20 hours for the normal preset and i tried high profile and it said 32 hours, i stopped it and restarted with normal.

WHat could i do to speed this up? 1 or 2 more gb of ram?

any thoughts?

Thanks!
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: How to make handbrake run faster on XP?

Post by TedJ »

Extra RAM won't make a huge difference, although bumping to at least 2GB is a good idea on general principle. Handbrake sees the greatest improvements in performance via CPU upgrade... a Core Duo will dramatically increase performance, especially if you can spring for a quad core.
jmichael99

Post by jmichael99 »

TedJ wrote:Extra RAM won't make a huge difference, although bumping to at least 2GB is a good idea on general principle. Handbrake sees the greatest improvements in performance via CPU upgrade... a Core Duo will dramatically increase performance, especially if you can spring for a quad core.

i think id have to drop to much for that. wanted to go the cheap route. i was having handbreak transfer from one drive to another while encoding. im now doing everything on the same drive and it did speed up alot.

i might look into building a cheap pc with used parts and a quad core
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

A modern CPU.
tokyotech

Post by tokyotech »

Your single core Pentium 4 is not made for video processing. Video processing takes advantage of multiple cores. Here are my observations on downsampling the same 720p video on my two machines:

Intel Wolfdale E8400 - dual Core @ 3.0 GHz => 14 FPS
Intel Core i7 920 - quad core @ 2.66 GHz => 40 FPS
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

Or, to put it into terms of what you're doing, on my i7 PC it takes about 4 hours to encode a typical blu-ray using High Profile (versus that 32 hours you saw).