Grainy Video

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
boutells

Grainy Video

Post by boutells »

Ever since I upgraded to the latest version of Handbrake, I have found the video quality to be quite grainy. Still watchable but not as clear as it should be. I did not have this problem on earlier versions of Handbrake. (I do like the faster coding in the latest version).

The problem occurs in both watching on the computer in Itunes or on the TV after transferring the content to an Ipod and playing back via a dock.

I have posted the Activity Log in the Pastebin under the heading of Grainy Video at http://handbrake.fr/pastebin/pastebin.php?show=1377

Do I need to adjust some settings or is there another problem. I am using the latest version (0.9.4) of Handbrake and a 5th generation Ipod.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Re: Grainy Video

Post by creamyhorror »

1. Are you using one of the presets? Which one? Your vbv-maxrate setting (768) seems rather low.

2. Are you using 1-pass with a bitrate target? If you are, you shouldn't, because 1-pass ABR produces uneven and inferior quality. Use 2-pass.

3. Post a screenshot of a 'grainy' frame. Are you talking about grain, or noise, or blocking? Normally, grain is a good thing in encodes.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

creamyhorror wrote:1. Are you using one of the presets? Which one? Your vbv-maxrate setting (768) seems rather low.
Read much? He has a 5th gen iPod and that's the preset setting.
boutells

Post by boutells »

I just used the preset that is on Handbrake. I am not quite sure what the VBV maxrate and 1 pass are.
boutells

Post by boutells »

"1. Are you using one of the presets? Which one? Your vbv-maxrate setting (768) seems rather low.

2. Are you using 1-pass with a bitrate target? If you are, you shouldn't, because 1-pass ABR produces uneven and inferior quality. Use 2-pass."

What are these and where do I find/ adjust them?
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

[duplicate]
Last edited by creamyhorror on Sat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creamyhorror
Enlightened

Post by creamyhorror »

mduell wrote:Read much? He has a 5th gen iPod and that's the preset setting.
Mind turning down the snark? He didn't say he used any preset and the log gives no indication. I've never used the iPod 5G preset, so I wouldn't know what the VBV-maxrate for that is either.
boutells

Post by boutells »

Based on what I thought you rwo were saying, I raised the average bit rate setting in the video and this improved the picture quality dramatically. Thanks