Format that will work on iPod/Xbox 360?

HandBrake for Windows support
Forum rules
An Activity Log is required for support requests. Please read How-to get an activity log? for details on how and why this should be provided.
TheCount

Format that will work on iPod/Xbox 360?

Post by TheCount »

What's the best way to make a format that will play well on a tv through itunes/xbox 360 and play fine on an iPod?

I'm so sick and tired of converting files to a million different formats to work on my Archos/iPod/iTunes/360/PC/etc. It's exhausting.

Luckily, they all seem to accept h264, it's just a matter of the resolution... right?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Well, you have to encode for the lowest common denominator...which would be the iPod.

And no, it's not just a matter of resolution.
TheCount

Post by TheCount »

I understand that i has to be coded for the ipod, my problem is, what format should it be for it to play on the 360 since I'm streaming from windows media player?
stephen

Post by stephen »

Can't help with the streaming (yet) but,
H.264(iPod) video with AAC audio in an mp4 wrapper. (or m4v)
Use a width of 640 as that is the max for the iPod.
I use a low bitrate of 896 and it looks pretty good.
If you have the May 2007 Xbox 360 update applied, you can burn these files to a disk, put it in the 360 and they will play fine.
h00ligan

Post by h00ligan »

You don't stream from windows media player - install the zune software.. .choose the ipod format and limit the width to 640 - no more than 1500 kbps on the bitrate. as of what, 3 days ago - the 360 streams that fine... i've tested it fwiw... and the zune stream is a LOT better than the old windows media connect for those without a MCE pc